trouble opening one eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRTY DAN

5 Year Member
hi everyone,
i have a 6 month old greek, he seems to have trouble opening one eye sometimes, not all the time, sometimes il notice its closed and take him out and it will stay closed for several more minutes then open fine, today i had him out and when he opened his eye and it bubbled a single bubble.... his eye is not cloudy or runny, his nose is fine, i have him on alfalfa hay, i have water availible everyday, a large hide, daily temp is 70 cool side 85 warm side, uva and uvb bulb on 12 hours a day, eats very healthy, i put vitamin spray and calcium on his food 5 days a week, feed him a good variaty of food and hes very strong and growing perfectly.

any ideas?
im very worried, thanks.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I think he needs more heat. Go to the greek section and see what the temps should be. I would also put him on cypres mulch. I am sure a real expert with give you more info soon, but for now check out and read EVERY thing on the forum about Greeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a Greek tortoise person, but my gut tells me he's too dry.

M

Maggie Cummings

I did a bit of research for you and you can get rid of the hay and put him on orchid bark (size fine) or cypress mulch mixed with plain top soil. He needs to be more humid. I'd pour water over the substrate to moisten it. I would get some Terramycin eye ointment (on-line or in the feed store) and put the ointment in his eye about 3 times a day. If you have a coiled bulb you need to get rid of that too and just get a regular MVB.( Mercury Vapor Bulb). Your basking temps can be 95 to 100 and your cool side 75 to 80. If your guy is outside during the day you don't need a UVB bulb at all. These are the minimum care requirements. I have a Mediterranean tortoise and I treat her just like the rest of my desert species and she is doing fine. I think your main problem is your guy is too dry, too cool and the bulb is one of the bad ones. I hope I have helped you. It's important to get the eye ointment but I'll bet he improves as soon as you change your bulb...

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
use cod liver oil on her eyes, it moisturizes and lubricates. My hermann's had problems with one eye, it was red and bothering her, I used cod liver oil for about a week, and she healed completely.

You can buy them in any drug mart.

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
I think this definitely sounds like he is too dry, when i first got my tort, i was keeping the humidity too low and it would take one of his eyes a little time to open after waking up, the vet told me to up the humidity and sure enough problem sorted.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep my greeks on coco coir when they're inside, and I keep at least half it fairly damp. They seems to like it more than the damp side, but I like to let them decide. The dust in the hay may be irritating his eyes as well. I agree with Maggie that you should get some Terramycin for his eye and your temps should be raised. Good luck!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I dont think it is from to dry conditions,
I would up the night temps to around 75º/ 77º and the day temps between 85º to 90º.

Terramycin is brilliant stuff, also bathe him for around 15 mins 3 times a day.

Coco substrate is one of my pet hates when damp it is a parasites paradise, use top soil mixed with play sand..

honu

5 Year Member
DIRTY DAN said:
hi everyone,
i have a 6 month old greek, he seems to have trouble opening one eye sometimes, not all the time, sometimes il notice its closed and take him out and it will stay closed for several more minutes then open fine, today i had him out and when he opened his eye and it bubbled a single bubble.... his eye is not cloudy or runny, his nose is fine, i have him on alfalfa hay, i have water availible everyday, a large hide, daily temp is 70 cool side 85 warm side, uva and uvb bulb on 12 hours a day, eats very healthy, i put vitamin spray and calcium on his food 5 days a week, feed him a good variaty of food and hes very strong and growing perfectly.

any ideas?
im very worried, thanks.

Most likely it's to dry or it needs more heat.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
The temps are fine, usually when the temps are to cold they will not eat,
Just try changing the substrate..

Status
Not open for further replies.