Eye problem

Big Mac

Russian tortoise has a cloudy right eye his activity is good his humidy had slipped a little low for maybe a few days ( I was gone on ca vacation with a friend parents watching) heat was good. I came home and his eye was completely closed I soaked him it opened up I soaked the substrate( a mix of cocoa fiber and mulch) it has still been closed more than the left eye but has been open. I have seen him rub it a few times as well. There is a small dot of white at the bottom half of his eye it has not clouded over completely but a little. Could something have gotten in his eye it also seems a bit watery
Big Mac, Yesterday at 5:13 PMReport Concern

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hello and welcome! can I suggest posting a picture of your lighting set up, my first thought is a coil bulb, CFL. they have been known to case damage and blindness:( perhaps this is the case?

Big Mac

This is a picture of his eye

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would try soaking him and using a syringe to gently rinse the eye. There are eye drops that are often recommended, but I haven't had to deal with any eye issues. Clouding over doesn't sound good.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
how does your little one's affected eye react during soaking? does it open up more? is there a chance something is stuck in there, does he/she rub at it alot?

sorry can't be of more help :(

Big Mac

I had soaked him yesterday and am soaking him again now he has been gradually opening it more and more

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
I had soaked him yesterday and am soaking him again now he has been gradually opening it more and more

perhaps try a gentle rinse on the eye as suggested? hopefully it just needs 'flushed out' if you will?

Big Mac

His eye doesn't seem to change much when soaking but I have seen him rub at it before he can and will open just seems to keep it closed more than his other

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What kind of "mulch" are you using.

This sounds like a mechanical injury to me. Terramyacin would help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The mulch is like a cypres bark

When I have used cypress mulch in the past it had some large chunks and lots of sharp edges. I would recommend coco coir for a baby russian, and orchid bark for older ones.

JJ

5 Year Member
Bristol
My Russian had a similar problem a couple of months ago. He went off his food and was constantly covering that side of his face with his foot.
I took some cooled boiled water and soaked a cotton bud in it. I gently wiped it across his eye and made sure that plenty of water dripped off to help irrigate his eye. His eye was better within 24 hours.