trying to trim baby's nails...

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
My 3-toed boxie is pushing 2 years old and weighs 43 grams. He seems to be doing fine, but his nails are getting curved and needle-like at the ends.
Somehow i managed to clip 3 of his nails last fall, but haven't had luck since. Haven't tried a lot of the time, but lately i have been trying. He cracks me up, the way he wiggles. Without being mean to him, i don't see how i can ever restrain one of his paws long enough. I would be happy if i could just clip one nail every time i handle him. But he's not having it.
Will this get easier to do as he gets bigger? Do i need to worry about nail length yet? Part of the problem is i have to put on my reading glasses and be very focused, as his nails are so tiny and i don't want to clip them in the quick.

Maybe i should fix him up with a box lined with rough concrete patio blocks?

Also his beak is getting just a trifle long. Putting food on a terra cotta dish does no good, as he doesn't rub his face on the dish anyway.
He does on rare occasions nibble on a bit of cuttle bone, but shows no interest in a chicken bone, even if it has scraps of meat and gristle on it.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1458946572.680316.jpg

Just an idea but I put a terra cotta dish on top of a square piece of tile and surrounded it with rocks like in this image of my juvenile. The rocks do all the filing along with the dish. I have a whole colony of rolly pollies in the enclosure too. I catch skittles snapping between the rocks at them all the time. Easy way to keep the beak trimmed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
View attachment 168499

Just an idea but I put a terra cotta dish on top of a square piece of tile and surrounded it with rocks like in this image of my juvenile. The rocks do all the filing along with the dish. I have a whole colony of rolly pollies in the enclosure too. I catch skittles snapping between the rocks at them all the time. Easy way to keep the beak trimmed.
This is a great idea and the best way to take care of beaks and nails, the more natural way.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas

Good plan, Eric! Might do that someday.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
maybe your local reptile vet can trim the beak and nails for you.

Yeah, i understand there's a good one only about 80 miles away. I live in a rural county that only has 1 traffic light for the whole county. (Can't complain about that.)

OK, i finally got my little beloved manicured and pedicured. Since he's a 3-toe (which like water) i soaked him for 1-2 hours before trying. Not sure it bears scientific scrutiny, but i have this hypothesis that the water swells his limbs and scales, making them more grippable. Also incidentally it really softens up his claws.
I also used a disposable nitrile glove on my left hand, hoping this would give better traction. I doubt it helped much, but maybe latex would be grippier next time.
I want to be able to hold his limbs out without having to squeeze them real hard.

I doubt his beak is much of a problem yet. He does occasionally gouge into cuttlebone. Also i found a real hard beetle, looked sort of like a pine borer but with 2 huge fake eyes on its shell, and put it in his cage to play with. I don't think he was able to bite into it, but he tried for some time.
Maybe if i find him more beetles and possibly a few small snails he'll naturally break the overgrowth down. I may try Eric's trick, too, once the pill bugs appear.

Anyway here is what he looks like today:
Rorg.4.11.16.jpg

You can see his nails are blunted. His hind paws have 2 big nails and 1 tiny nail each. I did not mess with the tiny ones.

A couple months ago i noticed he was losing his discoid baby shape and getting more elongated. I.e., the side edges of his shell turned downward.
He's pushing 2 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's very pretty! The nails aren't too bad yet. You have to grab a leg and hold on for dear life, then clip the nails.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Aww look at that face!
Ive trimmed a couple of my russians nails and i had my sister help hold them while i held their leg and did my snipping. Maybe that would be helpful next time?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Aww look at that face!
Ive trimmed a couple of my russians nails and i had my sister help hold them while i held their leg and did my snipping. Maybe that would be helpful next time?

I imagine that will be necessary when he gets bigger. But small as he is, i have no problem restraining him with my left hand, and holding his leg out with 2 left fingers and thumb. Except that i want to do it with minimum muscle and maximum traction, so as to minimize any trauma and stress.