tuff stuff tank enclosure

bethxyz

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
I'd love any input on this wild idea.... seeking a leopard tort after much (WAY TOO MUCH) consideration. I live in PA where my soon to be adopted guy will have ample outdoor time / space as it warms up, but for indoors I was thinking I would the largest sized rubbermaid and keep things simple until the creature gets a little larger.

Then I stumbled across this 110 gallon tank.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...cts-heavy-duty-oval-tank-110-gal?cm_vc=-10005

I'm picturing purchasing two of them, turning one upside down (securing!) and cutting a large viewing hole (with PVC fabric flap) and cutting / drilling holes for lights / heat sources...

Thanks for suggestions on this thought.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Yup this is how I use them. This is an old picture. And I've since made them nicer but you get the idea. I only use then for hatchlings though.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452206065.183824.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, as long as you make it into a closed chamber it should work great. If you do it like what is pictured, then when he put grows it, you could turn it into a turtle tank:D. Just a thought.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are use the tough stuff 140 gallon tanks. I use him as indoor enclosures for the winter. I made a ramp and connected two of them for my Russian. :). They are about 3 inches wider and 3 inches longer than the 110 gallon. In my opinion it would be easier to just cover the top of one rather than turning one upside down and cutting a hole in it. For one thing, if you cut a hole in it you have completely destroyed the tank, can't be used for anything else or resold in the future. It is easy to make them into a closed chamber, you can get plexiglass and just cut holes big enough for the lights, or an easy PVC frame with a heavy duty clear shower curtain also works very well.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452220266.977091.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452220306.110029.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452220340.575435.jpg
Here's a couple examples, I'm not very good at building anything and these were thrown together fast but I'm sure you can make one much prettier :)