Turbos digs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378169552.728712.jpgstill a work in progress but hey, it's a start! Can't decide whether to paint with exterior paint or epoxy paint. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking really nice. Paint won't last as long with higher humidity as a wood sealer.

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
Thank you for that tidbit Hasn't thought of that. Also I was wondering about ventilation. It has been sealed really well to hold in humidity. Do I need to drill ventilation holes?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Turbos digs

sulcatasweety said:
Do I need to drill ventilation holes?

Nope :)

Or else all that humidity you want to hold in will escape. Each time you open the door to feed, water, move the tort, etc..you'll get plenty of air exchange.

Sent from my TFOapp

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
Thank you all! For your help and compliments. I will take more pics when it is finished.... I'm so excited[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The paint thing is a big issue. There is no commonly available paint or sealer that will hold up to that level of constant wetness. I ordered some non-toxic boat paint and that worked well, but very expensive. I had the paint rep and the paint manager in Home Depot once and they agreed that no commonly available paint, either epoxy or exterior was suitable for constant dampness inside a closed chamber. I don't do anything to the wood inside my closed chambers. I put down some painters plastic on the bottom and about 8" up the sides on my last re-do, but thats it.

You will be surprised at how easy it is to maintain heat and humidity inside your chamber with a minimum of wetness. Its not like and open topped chamber where you have to constantly add water and keep it wet. And you will be shocked at how much heat comes off of a 50-65 watt bulb inside a closed chamber. It will show you how much electricity you have been wasting and heating up your whole house with, instead of keeping the heat where you wanted it.
don't do anything to the wood inside my closed chambers. I put down some painters plastic on the bottom and about 8" up the side on my last re-do, but thats it.

Also be aware that your ambient temp will likely climb due to your heat bulb as each day progresses. This is okay and good. Simulates what happens outside. My ambient will climb to the low 90s during hot summer days. At night I let it cool back down to 80ish, and my CHE kicks on if needed to prevent it from dropping any further.

Your enclosure looks great!

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
Update*****ImageUploadedByTortForum1378331272.676338.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378331295.968005.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378331311.018267.jpg

Almost finished! Just need to let his trays of tortoise food and grasses finish growing and then add a little cypress mulch and ill be done! So excited

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.