Turtle 911 NOW NOW NOW

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I can't tell if my mud turtle Jacques is dead or not.
I stuck a pothos plant in her tank a couple of weeks ago and it has been growing like crazy with lots of leaves and ROOTS. She likes to hang out in the roots and rest on them. I didn't think they'd be any problem.
I did a 50% water change on her tank yesterday and the water was a little higher than usual.
This morning I found her sitting under her basking platform with her head stretched up- she often sits this way.
Then I noticed that she was surrounded by thick pothos roots and the water went all the way up to the bottom of the basking platform. I wondered if she was trapped, so I pulled out her basking platform.

SHE SAT THERE STIFFLY AND JUST SLOWLY ROLLED OVER ONTO HER BACK.
I GRABBED HER UP AND SHE WAS TOTALLY LIMP.
I jiggled her gently upside down a bunch of times and several drops of water seemed to come out.
I pumped her legs to try and do CPR for several minutes.

I just now touched her eye and it stayed shut then opened slowly, so I think she's still alive?
When I tug on a leg it pulls back, but very weakly.

I how have her in dry dock with a lamp on her.
Is there ANYTHING else I can do (obviously I'm getting rid of pothos as soon as I finish this note and will dip out a bunch of her water.)

@Yvonne G @Markw84 @cdmay @Anthony P @Tidgy's Dad There are other turtle people I want to get in here but I'm too panicked to think straight.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
i set her back in her tank on the basking platform because her dry dock tub felt too cold.
I think she's breathing and her mouth is open.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED

Destben

Kansas
I’m not an expert but try flipping her so her head is facing down and try the pumping again they can’t cough but the water might come out that way. That’s how you get mucus out

Destben

Kansas
I’m not an expert but try flipping her so her head is facing down and try the pumping again they can’t cough but the water might come out that way. That’s how you get mucus out

Not the pumping for mucus just clarifying. And again I am still way new so that’s just my logic

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OK- she's definitely alive but very, very weak. I was afraid she might get back in her water before she was strong enough, so I added about a half inch of warm water to her little "dry dock" tub and put a plastic plant to support her head and put her back in it.
Her eyes are open and she moves her legs a little. Her mouth is open and she makes clicking noises. Sometimes blows bubbles. I shook her upside down again, but she curled her neck up, so I set her down.
The water temperature in her little tub is 85* under the light and 82* away from the light.

She SEEMS ok but so very, Very weak. :(:(:(
I'm so grateful that I seem to have found her in time.

The pothos is out on the compost heap and I siphoned out about 2 gallons of tank water.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
IMG_8580.JPG

She is keeping her right eye closed, but that's the one I poked to see if she would respond, so I figure that is to be expected.

Bee62

Germany
i set her back in her tank on the basking platform because her dry dock tub felt too cold.
I think she's breathing and her mouth is open.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED
I would take her and held her with the head down. When there is water in her lungs it can come out.
Good luck Bea ! Sorry to hear Jaques had that accident. I am here when you need me.

Bee62

Germany
I called for help to someone who is experienced with turtles. I am waiting for his answer. Do you have a VET that is similiar with turtles ?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thank you Destben and Bee for your replies!
Bee, our vet is not open yet and is not good with turtles. She has a partner who does have an interest in turtles, but even that vet doesn't know as much as the people here on the forum.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you Destben and Bee for your replies!
Bee, our vet is not open yet and is not good with turtles. She has a partner who does have an interest in turtles, but even that vet doesn't know as much as the people here on the forum.
I searched in a German forum for an answer but all I found is: Go to a VET, or: wait that the turle can recover.

Bee62

Germany
Thanks, Bee!
I think I will wait since she seems to be improving.
My fingers are crossed !
When she recovers you have to watch her closely for the next days because this accident can cause a lung infection because of the water in her lungs. I hope she will get not sick. Good luck and keep us updated.
Many big elctronic hugs from me !

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My fingers are crossed !
When she recovers you have to watch her closely for the next days because this accident can cause a lung infection because of the water in her lungs. I hope she will get not sick. Good luck and keep us updated.
Many big elctronic hugs from me !
Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate your concern and your hugs!!!:)
Yes, I know that the time AFTER a near-drowning is a very delicate time for that very reason of possible infection.

It's only 8:15 in the morning here- so many people to the west are not yet up. For our members in California, it's only 6:15 am.
Once more people are up, I'm hoping to get more advice on what to do for her recovery period.
I don't remember the names of any of the veterinarians on the Forum, but hopefully someone like Yvonne will know.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate your concern and your hugs!!!:)
Yes, I know that the time AFTER a near-drowning is a very delicate time for that very reason of possible infection.

It's only 8:15 in the morning here- so many people to the west are not yet up. For our members in California, it's only 6:15 am.
Once more people are up, I'm hoping to get more advice on what to do for her recovery period.
I don't remember the names of any of the veterinarians on the Forum, but hopefully someone like Yvonne will know.
@zovick is a VET I think

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I’ve had several turtles do exactly what you are describing. Usually a young weak hatchling stuck in string algae or a spotted turtle that was held doen by a male. Etc etc. if there was any sign of life at all they all recovered just fine in a few hours. I’ve had a few I was sure were dead and still recovered.

I did what you did. Held them head down a bit then pumped legs for a bit. Then I’d place them in a slightly head down position and just let them rest.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I’ve had several turtles do exactly what you are describing. Usually a young weak hatchling stuck in string algae or a spotted turtle that was held doen by a male. Etc etc. if there was any sign of life at all they all recovered just fine in a few hours. I’ve had a few I was sure were dead and still recovered.

I did what you did. Held them head down a bit then pumped legs for a bit. Then I’d place them in a slightly head down position and just let them rest.
Thanks so much, Mark!
It took about 2 hours, but she suddenly started scrambling around in her dry dock, trying to climb out, so I put her back in her tank and she's acting like nothing ever happened!!!!! :)
Amazing little creatures!!!!!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Mooz:

The roots of the pothos or any plant's roots should not be a drowning problem for a turtle. I use plants extensively in tanks and ponds for both biological action and hides for the turtles. A CHANGE in water level can be a problem if a favorite resting spot is suddenly turned into a spot where the turtle can no longer reach the surface, as they are used to resting there and just stretching their neck to get air.

By far, the most common times I see turtle drowning is with a mud, spotted or blandings. Those species are very aquatic, but poor swimmers. When their body temps cool and they slow down, they can often have trouble swimming to the surface without being able to climb. So they develop favorite paths they use to climb to the surface. When being handled, and then placed back in the water, if they are not allowed to equalize their buoyancy, they will often dive to the bottom in flight mode and be negative buoyant to the point of not being able to swim to the surface. Whenever I handle one of those and place them back in the water, I always place them where they are floating on a plant or on a rock in shallow water where they have their head above water when I remove my hand. I want them to breathe in enough and equalize their buoyancy. I have had to teach my oldest grandson this as he frequently loves to go hunt my spotted turtles and study them!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks so much, Mark!
It took about 2 hours, but she suddenly started scrambling around in her dry dock, trying to climb out, so I put her back in her tank and she's acting like nothing ever happened!!!!! :)
Amazing little creatures!!!!!!
Thank Heavens for that!
I was feeling physically sick when I started reading this thread.
Sorry I am so late to respond, but I am still catching up with yesterdays alerts in between lessons!
I would have seen it if you posted in the Cold Dark Room as well.
Goodness, but no harm done.
All my love to you and the adorable Jacques. :<3::tort: