Turtle and Tortoise Identification

omshahi

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Could anyone help me in identifying the exact species of this turtle or tortoise? The guy who gave it to me said he is a desert tortoise but more closely resembles a box turtle because his plastron (bottom shell) is hinged and tightly closes up to its carapace (top shell). I have posted a couple pictures below. Please let me know. Thank you.Gopal 1.JPG Gopal 2.JPG

omshahi

Houston, Texas
So he is not any species of tortoise? Is three toed box turtle an interbreed of eastern box turtle? His shell is pure brown and I havent seen any box turtles with a brown shell; Eastern box turtles have black and yellow shells. He is six months old, keep him outside during the day in a kid plastic pool tub and bring him inside for the night where he sleeps in a terrarium since he is primarily terrestrial.

omshahi

Houston, Texas
Ok, on a facebook turtle and tortoise forum, someone said he might also possibly be a desert box turtle?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
As others have said it's a three toed box turtle. Care is the same as an Eastern.

omshahi

Houston, Texas
Ok because I counted and it actually has five toes-three main ones and two shorters ones on both hands and feet so thats why I was wondering.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Three toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). Looks to be fairly young.