Turtle or tortoise/ what kind? Please help identify!

char121800

We found this tortoise on the side of the highway (we live in New Mexico, very hot climate, little water which makes me think it is a tortoise) and took it in because we didn't want to leave it there. We are currently trying to figure out the species. We have a big garden so keeping it would not be a problem and we are fully prepared to take full care of it (we are animal lovers and have plenty experience owning pets) anyways, the turtle or tortoise has red eyes, orange specks on the legs,and a striped? Shell. He/she is very fast, energetic, non hostile, and doesn't seem too skiddish or scared. I will attach photos to help identify. Thank you!!!!

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

char121800

We found this tortoise on the side of the highway (we live in New Mexico, very hot climate, little water which makes me think it is a tortoise) and took it in because we didn't want to leave it there. We are currently trying to figure out the species. We have a big garden so keeping it would not be a problem and we are fully prepared to take full care of it (we are animal lovers and have plenty experience owning pets) anyways, the turtle or tortoise has red eyes, orange specks on the legs,and a striped? Shell. He/she is very fast, energetic, non hostile, and doesn't seem too skiddish or scared. I will attach photos to help identify. Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Looks like Terrapene ornata, not sure which subspecies it is (both are native to you, I believe), but the beak/shell shape make me think this is someone's lost pet.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
That's a box turtle, either ornate or desert maybe. I think ornate. Could be wrong. But most definitely 100% positive that's a box turtle.
Let's see if I can figure out this tagging thing.
@yvonne would know more I believe.

Last edited:

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
It does look like his beak may be overgrown a little, but it doesn't look like enough to cause concern about his eating abilities. Has he eaten for you yet? Maybe offer some carrot, strawberry, clover, earth worm, grubs, red leaf lettuce, romaine, see if he'll eat any of that. He'll most likely go for the wiggly stuff more enthusiastically than the veggies. Strawberry might grab his attention, though.

char121800

That's a box turtle, either ornate or desert maybe. I think ornate. Could be wrong. But most definitely 100% positive that's a box turtle.
Let's see if I can figure out this tagging thing.
@yvonne would know more I believe.
Thank you! I believe it is an ornate box turtle. He has eaten some lettuce also, very comfortable with people which makes me believe he may have been an abandoned or lost pet? Did some research and it does seem like the species is native to NM though :) thanks for your help!

char121800

Looks like Terrapene ornata, not sure which subspecies it is (both are native to you, I believe), but the beak/shell shape make me think this is someone's lost pet.
Thank you! After doing some research I think you are right. I do believe he was a lost pet but it's also possible he could have been abandoned. He is very comfortable with humans though :)

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Not a tortoise. It is an ornate box turtle, Terrapene ornata, with an overgrown beak and nails which indicates it is an escaped pet.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I also think it's a western/ornate box turtle.
I too thin it's an escaped pet judging by its general condition and the overgrown beak.
Somebody might be missing a beloved pet so ask around, put up flyers on poles, put an ad on craigslist but don't post a picture or give too many details as there are plenty of scammers who'll claim it as theirs if you post a picture.
Also ask at local vets and animal rescue centres.
Good luck.

char121800

I also think it's a western/ornate box turtle.
I too thin it's an escaped pet judging by its general condition and the overgrown beak.
Somebody might be missing a beloved pet so ask around, put up flyers on poles, put an ad on craigslist but don't post a picture or give too many details as there are plenty of scammers who'll claim it as theirs if you post a picture.
Also ask at local vets and animal rescue centres.
Good luck.
Okay thank you!! We will probably put flyers up and see if we get any responses :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry don't know. Hopefully the experts here will be able to tell.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

char121800

We haven't found the owners yet! But he is doing good! We put him in a place with shade, bugs, and places to hide in our garden we are also giving him lettuce and fruit and he seems happy! Thanks for asking :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its a box turtle . Looks like someone's lost or turned loose pet. If you keep it get it some humidity and a beak trimming .

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
We haven't found the owners yet! But he is doing good! We put him in a place with shade, bugs, and places to hide in our garden we are also giving him lettuce and fruit and he seems happy! Thanks for asking :)
What kind of lettuce? Red leaf and green leaf lettuce are good, but iceberg isn't. It's not bad, it just has almost no nutrients and a very high water content, so it's basically useless to them. Romaine is also not good for the same reason, but it's better than iceberg.
Clover, Bibb, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens & weeds, watercress, escarole, various squashes, carrots, green beans, okra, opuntia cactus pad & fruit, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, zucchini, cucumber, peas in the pod, apples, apricot, figs, grapes, kiwi, various melons, peaches, plums, pretty much all berries, different kinds of mushrooms (NOT portobello mushrooms!), June bugs, grasshoppers, earth worms, cicadas, slugs (no banana slugs), pill bugs, Dubai roaches (yum! No joke, very good), sow bugs, katydids, Isopods, waxworms, terrestrial snails, blood worms, carrion (not me, har har), beef heart, Gastropods, spiders, silkworms, millipedes, butterfly larvae, preying mantids with spiked forelegs removed, boiled eggs with shell, night crawlers, cooked lean ground beef, boiled skinless chicken. All of this is good foods. Generally keep it mostly greens, followed by mostly animal protein, followed by veggies, then fruit.