Turtle or Tortoise?

Aloysius Taschse

Location (City and/or State)
Mainly Texas
This forum is generally associated with tortoises, but we have our share of turtles. This is great! I love both, but when rescuing/taking care of a chelonian please make sure what type of chelonian it is. Kimberly definitely did not know (story down below), and it came at a cost! It is fine to call a tortoise a turtle but before taking buying one or rescuing it, please make sure you are giving it the proper treatment! (Note: I am not trying to call anyone out for calling a tortoise a turtle or vice versa, I just want to remind everyone to be careful with animals and do your research!)

The video might not work but you can find it by searching: Girl throws tortoise in pond thinking it's a turtle (or something like that)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This forum is generally associated with tortoises, but we have our share of turtles. This is great! I love both, but when rescuing/taking care of a chelonian please make sure what type of chelonian it is. Kimberly definitely did not know (story down below), and it came at a cost! It is fine to call a tortoise a turtle but before taking buying one or rescuing it, please make sure you are giving it the proper treatment! (Note: I am not trying to call anyone out for calling a tortoise a turtle or vice versa, I just want to remind everyone to be careful with animals and do your research!)

The video might not work but you can find it by searching: Girl throws tortoise in pond thinking it's a turtle (or something like that)
'Save the turtles" as she chucks it 20ft into a ditch :rolleyes:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It seems the name calling was right on! If her "hobby" is saving them, then she should educate herself.
I don't understand those getting a tortoise/turtle and then after they get it, they ask what kind it is, ugh! Obviously no search before hand.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
I got really worried when she said it was a hobby... Besides, like Toddrickfl1 mentioned, why did she have to just throw it? Kimberly sure learned her lesson and unfortunately the education of some people results in things like this. Do your part to teach and help people, and you could just save a life!