Turtle rescue

EricL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So in November I rescued a male and female box turtle from MATTS. They are currently housed separately in 4x4 tortoise tables, until I can get them into an outdoor enclosure this spring. They are doing fine but I ran across the ad on LetGo for someone selling 2 box turtles 1 male/1 female. They were adults in a small aquarium with 3 inches of water and large rocks, which is obviously a terrible set-up. So I asked her about the turtles and she said they are "African Box Turtles", which after seeing the enclosure, I knew she had no idea what she was talking about. Anyway, I was wondering if it would be too stressful to have 2 males and 2 females in the separate enclosures for a few months until they can go outside? It would clearly be an upgrade from their current situation but I don't want to hinder on the well-being of the box turtles that I have committed to. Just wanted to know some of your thoughts!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
generally you don't want 2 males together. the females might be ok, but i would say you should quarantine the new ones bc they are possibly ill.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
generally you don't want 2 males together. the females might be ok, but i would say you should quarantine the new ones bc they are possibly ill.

Do you think it would be suitable to have the new male in his own tote for the time being?