Turtles and Tortoises from my Zoo Internship

Status
Not open for further replies.

-JM

5 Year Member
Dirt? it's legit dirt then because I've scrubbed them at least twice. It must be super ingrained. .... 'course, they practically live in the mud pit so I can believe it.

I'm so happy to know Skip's an Aldabra, though! I've been doing research and I think when I have my own place and a good yard for it, I would like to have one. But I was worried about their temperament and care. Since I took care of Skipper and I know he was mild-mannered I am much less anxious! :D :D

-JM

5 Year Member
31624376.jpg

-JM

5 Year Member
I don't believe so. I was told Galapagos don't have them. If Skipper really is an Aldabra then he should have one but I can't see it in any of the pictures I posted here.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
thats what i was looking for. i was once told that not all aldabras have it, but no galaps have it. so it cant be a single reason to determine species.

-JM

5 Year Member
I never thought to check while I was there but if I go back I certainly will.

-JM

5 Year Member
I could probably call and get in to see them again, but it's not very close to where I live. It will probably be a couple of months before I can go back.

-JM

5 Year Member
No problem. If/when I get a chance to return (i'm hoping to be able to work weekends there in the fall), the scute is the first thing I'll look for!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
-JM said:
No problem. If/when I get a chance to return (i'm hoping to be able to work weekends there in the fall), the scute is the first thing I'll look for!

Its not a "for sure" way to tell. I have a couple of 10 year old Aldabs just over 100lbs. One has the nuchal scute and the other doesn't.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I think Aldabs look like sock puppets :)

Great pics.

Not crazy about the little sullie though. Doesn't look like he is getting the best husbandry (diet, housing, substrate, etc).

-JM

5 Year Member
I don't think he gets enough light--his diet is the same as the adult sulcatas, is that alright? I mentioned the lighting thing to the head keeper, but the bedding is the same bedding they kept all the herps on

chadk

10 Year Member!
You can see it is pyramiding and may have MDB. Wouldn't doubt it if was severly dehydrated. The diet is not good for juvies or adults actually.

-JM

5 Year Member
:( I printed a care sheet for the keepers, but whether they adhere to it or not I won't know. The tort was a "rescue" just like all the zoo's sulcatas are. People find them on the side of the road or "donate" them when they don't want them. I don't know what condition he was in when he got to the zoo, so I can't say if his condition is better or worse.
They do have a vet come in every Wednesday and look over the animals. I spoke with him on several occasions and he wasn't concerned with the current care. That's not to say he was right or wrong, just that the zoo does have him on call and he makes regular visits to all the animals.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, I just got to this thread. What amazing photos and humongous-sized tortoises.

How lucky you are to be able to get so close and pet them and get to know them. I'm so jealous.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think Aldabrans have a alien look about them.. and the galaps look like a thin cat with the sunken eyes..
I thought skipper looked different.. more 'alien'.
I wonder what the zoo will say when they find out.. deny it or embrace it.
what a fun time!
Im an Old Moorparker EATM program from way back.. It was hard, but loved it. SO different now, but I think still a good thing to go thru if you are hoping to get into the animal biz.. good headstart and lets you decide what direction to take.

-JM

5 Year Member
I dunno! I don't think they'll "deny" it, but they probably won't change anything. They might put up a new label for him, but they won't move him.

You're right, Laura, it was a lot of work! But it was very much worth it. It's helping to beef up my resume as I start looking for Grad school programs. That aside, however, just being close to such awesome animals was a reward in itself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.