turtles at glass

birdnorth

Location (City and/or State)
nyc
out of map turtles, diamond backed terrapins, and stinkpot turtles, which is always clawing at the glass? is it true that the terrapins always swim against the glass? do maps and musks not? does anyone know where I cam get an old turtle? their lifespans are too long for my situation so it would be better for me if there was one already in its 20s or teens. I already checks the shelters online.

birdnorth

nyc
also, does anyone know of any turtle that has a shorter lifespan and stayed small?

birdnorth

nyc
well, its just a huge commitment to keep a turtle for 50 years or so. I just don't want to have to be in a situation where I am forced to rehome the animal.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
well, its just a huge commitment to keep a turtle for 50 years or so. I just don't want to have to be in a situation where I am forced to rehome the animal.

It is a big commitment and I'm glad you are considering that aspect now. The smaller aquatics actually tend to live a bit longer than the bigger ones. To your concern, one of my Suwannee cooters hatched in 1984 and is still laying eggs and thriving. So I've had her 36 years.

I would recommend against a turtle or tortoise for a pet for you right now. Perhaps later.