Two Best Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
So two days ago I put a cardboard barrier in the middle of my two tortoises tank because the male's mating violence was escalating. This is just temporary until I get another tank and can eventually put them outside when it gets warmer.

Anyways, I walked into my room today and saw a big gap underneath (both have been very determined to get to the other side) the taped barrier and the two Russians were laying next to each other. I have to separate them for a couple months, but it is cool how it seems they have created a bond over the past few years.

Jake

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 47

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Make sure the non violent Tort does not get hurt. It may have been the male trying to get through, or the other tort may have been curious. While they may sit quietly together because that is where the warmth or basking light it, generally torts are solitary in the wild.
Keep a very close eye on the non aggressive tort. You separated them the first time for a reason.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
I agree, I am getting a new tank very shortly and going to separate them indefinitely. We have had them for 3 1/2 years (got them when they were each about 10) and this was the first time I noticed mating, let alone any violence. Because of this I had to make the temporary barrier, but this will be fixed very soon. I noticed him being aggressive before she could get hurt though.

Status
Not open for further replies.