two different breeds living near each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

5 Year Member
I have an Antakyan greek and a sulcata, can they live in seperrate cages, right next to each other?Also,I have an outdoor enclosure, can they both use it, just at different times ,as well as other things that they touch, or is it bad for ttheir health?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Try to avoid ANY cross contamination. So to sum up: no they should't share the same outdoor enclosure even if they are not both in it at the same time, and no you shouldn't use the same supplies. I have a baby Leopard tortoise and a adult Female Russian tortoise and they each have their own bins with their own equipment. No cross contamination what so ever for me. If I touch my Russian, I wash my hands straight away right after I touch her before even touching any of my Leopard's equipment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It could be if either are carrying anything (which is likely). Best to have separate areas for each to avoid any possible cross-contamination.

Cassidy

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Try to avoid ANY cross contamination. So to sum up: no they should't share the same outdoor enclosure even if they are not both in it at the same time, and no you shouldn't use the same supplies. I have a baby Leopard tortoise and a adult Female Russian tortoise and they each have their own bins with their own equipment. No cross contamination what so ever for me. If I touch my Russian, I wash my hands straight away right after I touch her before even touching any of my Leopard's equipment.
Do you have youe torts in the same room but different cages or will that cross contaminate?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Cassidy said:
Do you have youe torts in the same room but different cages or will that cross contaminate?

They are in the same room, Just different enclosures. No cross contamination there :D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
TortoiseBoy1999 said:

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Cassidy said:

They are in the same room, Just different enclosures. No cross contamination there :D

There is almost certainly some cross contamination. Washing your hands may reduce the possibility, but most likely not eliminate it completely. Regardless, the danger is so often over stated that you probably have nothing to worry about.

Washing your hands is still a good idea.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
jaizei said:
There is almost certainly some cross contamination. Washing your hands may reduce the possibility, but most likely not eliminate it completely. Regardless, the danger is so often over stated that you probably have nothing to worry about.

Washing your hands is still a good idea.

But I wash my hands VERY well. :)\

Status
Not open for further replies.