Tyrone Hates His Hide?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
So now Tyrone's new thing is to push his hide all the way down into his water... Doesn't matter what I do, he will dig it out of the substrate and get it to his water. ( his hide is a plastic bucket cut in half and the bottom cut off to make a tunnel)

Does anyone else RF do this?

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Lol. That's funny. How big is his enclosure? If you can find a ball about his size put that in there and see what he does. Mite just want something to bully. I have a potted elephant brush plant that I will put in with my Aldabra every now and then.. It doesn't matter where I put it but when its in there she has to flip it

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
mtdavis254817 said:
Lol. That's funny. How big is his enclosure? If you can find a ball about his size put that in there and see what he does. Mite just want something to bully. I have a potted elephant brush plant that I will put in with my Aldabra every now and then.. It doesn't matter where I put it but when its in there she has to flip it

I never thought of it as bullying his hide..... Interesting! I am gonna look for a small now!
How big is your Aldabra? She must not like that plant!

ascott said:
is to push his hide all the way down into his water

Perhaps try to start his hide out over the water dish and see what he thinks about that? :D

Now that's funny! I wonder what he would do?!

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
have you seen him do this? On the flip side of bullying perhaps he's scratching his back with it and it can't move any longer once it's wedged in the water bowl..??? My torts aren't "diggers" but they'll wedge themselves under anything to self-scratch...

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Re: RE: Tyrone Hates His Hide?

Watsonpartyof4 said:
mtdavis254817 said:

I never thought of it as bullying his hide..... Interesting! I am gonna look for a small now!
How big is your Aldabra? She must not like that plant!

ascott said:
is to push his hide all the way down into his water

Perhaps try to start his hide out over the water dish and see what he thinks about that? :D

Now that's funny! I wonder what he would do?!

She is right under 9 lbs.. Its funny because I think she likes it but just likes messing it up. I put the plant in her water dish and that got her to wade through it. If the plant is in the corner she will scratch the butt of her shell on it.. Weirdo

Under ten pounds

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Michael in MO said:
have you seen him do this? On the flip side of bullying perhaps he's scratching his back with it and it can't move any longer once it's wedged in the water bowl..??? My torts aren't "diggers" but they'll wedge themselves under anything to self-scratch...

I have watched him dig under and half carry it until he gets from under it...then he goes back inside and digs under and tries to carry it, all over again. If that doesn't work he pushes it, flips it over and will walk inside it and ride it like a teeter totter...cracks me up every time. One time he flipped it vertical and it touched the MVB bulb and it melted the edge. It is an on going thing with him.he doesn't really sleep in it... He prefers to sleep on a rock, on top of his food dish or he likes to dig and sleep with his butt in the air and face planted.

He is a strange guy, but I love him