Uh oh. Need tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJackrage

5 Year Member
Yesterday, i brought my Sulcata to a friends home who owns a desert tortoise. They got along for the most part. But then she ate some of the desert torts poop. Someone on here told me that could make my Sulcata ill. Is it true? If so, what signs of illness should i look for? She hasnt seemed very sick yet.

poison

5 Year Member
i dont see any thing wrong with it unless your friends dt ate some thing with chemicals in it. i believe a lot of tortoise poop is re-digestible

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I would think parasites could be transmitted this way. Signs would be diarrhea and loss of appetite. I don't know what the "incubation" period would be.

I'm also not positive if they can be transmitted this way, so I would wait for others to respond.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they should not be together.. different species, different germs. This is why we say not to house different types together.. they shouldn't 'play' together either.. :-/

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
In 2 weeks take a fecal sample to a vet and have them check for parasites if you are really worried.
And just in case you were wondering if what you did was a little "dumb".

failure1024.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
poison said:
i dont see any thing wrong with it unless your friends dt ate some thing with chemicals in it. i believe a lot of tortoise poop is re-digestible

Actually there is a lot wrong with it. That is why we never, ever recommend torts of different species be together. Different parasites, etc could be passed that the other has never been exposed to and maybe never would in it's native land. It is a stupid thing to do, especially, with no idea what the other could be caring, which is almost impossible to know. Torts are loners, they don't need play dates. Mixing species is a bad thing and is said on this forum almost every day.

poison

5 Year Member
wellington said:
poison said:

Actually there is a lot wrong with it. That is why we never, ever recommend torts of different species be together. Different parasites, etc could be passed that the other has never been exposed to and maybe never would in it's native land. It is a stupid thing to do, especially, with no idea what the other could be caring, which is almost impossible to know. Torts are loners, they don't need play dates. Mixing species is a bad thing and is said on this forum almost every day.

well i did not know that thanks for clearing that up :)

FlapJackrage

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, I had no Idea. Sorry.

If she does have parasites, what could a vet do for her?

And is there a chance she might not have caught anything, or are you guys pretty certain about it. I will still take her to a vet.
But dont people cross breed these 2 types of torts? How do they cross breed without transmitting parasites?

acrantophis

5 Year Member
FlapJackrage said:
Thanks guys, I had no Idea. Sorry.

If she does have parasites, what could a vet do for her?

And is there a chance she might not have caught anything, or are you guys pretty certain about it. I will still take her to a vet.
But dont people cross breed these 2 types of torts? How do they cross breed without transmitting parasites?

A good sign that your tortoise has parasites is loose stool. Also any change in behavior. No one has ever crossed sulcatas and desert tortoises. They are not very closely related and they aren't even the same genus.
They are coprophagic. Meaning they will eat theirs and others poop. They do this to acquire beneficial digestive bacteria and re-acquire minerals that may have not been absorbed. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.