Uh oh....

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I got Delilah almost exactly a month ago—like 4 weeks to be exact. She’s a Russian tort and my first tortoise.

It’s been so great! She’s been settling in SO WELL. Eats well, looks good, is active, healthy. I’ve been feeding her a huge mix of safe greens. It’s been surprising some days how much she eats and how little she’s pooping, but when she poops her poop is totally normal.

I haven’t thought a thing until today. She’s been ENDLESSLY pacing and digging the past day and a half.... not usually her thing, as she’s lazy as your average tortoise. She can’t stop digging. I mean, she usually dug a hole at night to sleep in, but she’s been digging along this little strip of the enclosure all day now, pacing back and forth. She’s also stopped eating as much (still a lot, but she seems to be occupied?)

Now a lil background: she’s an adult (and a huge one at that). She’s 10” from front to back of shell. And she was housed with a male for years before I picked her up... including when she was at the shelter, less than a month ago.

This... can’t possibly be what I think it is, could it be? If so... what!!!! Do I do! She’s going nuts here. Like will NOT stop moving and pacing. I’ve even been taking her out for exercise, and usually it immediately poops her afterwards, but it isn’t working. She’s literally my first tort. I didn’t even think of having a possibly eggbound girl. What other reasons could she be being so active and weird?

Illinois
Also I want to add my enclosure is 8’ by 4’. She was kept in her old home in a 40 gallon tank with another male tort. She has SO MUCH more space now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She may be looking for a nice spot to dig a nest and lay eggs.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Well, you might be in for a surprize! How's your mulch, you might want to increase the depth, make sure temps are dialed in, and substrate moist. Soak often.

I wouldn’t suggest taking her out of the enclosure for walkies, it just enlightens them to the much larger world thats out there.

Upload some pix if you can.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome are the sides of the enclosure glass that your tort can see out of?