1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Easter eggs?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by Yourlocalpoet, Apr 19, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Yourlocalpoet

Yourlocalpoet Active Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    So this happened yesterday.

IMG_6877.jpg
    IMG_6879.jpg

She’s never mated, never even met another tortoise, although I’m aware this doesn’t negate egg laying, still I was bemused nonetheless to find her digging what I assume to be a nest.

Anyway, I left her to it. When I returned a while later she’d left the hole (it was pretty deep) and no eggs had been laid.

IMG_6882.jpg

Today, she’s ignored the hole, hasn’t dug anything else and is eating, basking and being generally predictable. No pacing, aggression or other notable symptoms of being gravid.

Is this a test site? What do I do, wait it out? Get her x rayed? I have zero experience with eggs, but have heard enough horror stories of egg bound tortoises to be a little anxious.

Appreciative of any advice.
  2. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member

UK
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi Michelle, long time no see.
    You may not remember me but you were a great help when I first ended up with a leopard almost 5 years ago.
    The TFO has become my bible and I have learnt so much in the last 5 years.
    I don't know anything about egg laying as Lola turned out to be a he but Esmeralda is looking great.
    I hope she is Ok and maybe @Yvonne G can help.
    Ketta, Ben02 and ZEROPILOT like this.
  3. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    Interesting
    Ketta likes this.
  4. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Tortoises do not have too mate to lay eggs. They like most reptiles will still lay. They will never be fertile without mating though. Test nest sites are quite normal. She may even do more then one. I would give it a couple weeks before worrying about egg bound. If after that time she hasn't laid any eggs but is acting and eating normal I would give it more time. If at any point she starts acting very different then I would have her checked out. Be sure it's a reputable reptile vet.
  5. Mizcreant

Mizcreant Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Cincinnati, OH
    That is one beautiful tort!!!
    Ketta and Yourlocalpoet like this.
  6. Yourlocalpoet

Hi Lyn. Of course I remember you (and Mr T I think Lola was named then...) Has he undergone gender reassignment? Glad you decided to keep him in the end, how's he doing? Did you ever manage to get something built indoors? I haven't been on the forum actively for a few years now, although I do check in now and again to read what's new; I just never seem to find the time.
    Ketta and Lyn W like this.
  7. Yourlocalpoet

Thanks for this. Sensible advice which I assumed may be the answer. I think unless she does actually lay some eggs, even if she's behaving normally, the x ray is going to be inevitable, as I don't know if there any instances whereby a tortoise may dig a nest and not be carrying eggs. Do you?
    Ketta likes this.
  8. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Not likely to dig without eggs but test holes are normal. I had one of mine dig 3 teddy holes and never laid eggs until 2 weeks later. I have also had both of mine lay eggs in nest and then the next time no nest, no digging, just laid them on top of the ground. Also my one, when she laid for the first couple times, they were soft and dented, not likely too cause impaction. When so many vets no little too nothing about tortoises it's usually a better bet to not rush off to see one.
    Ketta and Yourlocalpoet like this.
  9. Relic

Relic Active Member

Texas
    For what it is worth (not likely much) my box turtles dig numerous false nests each year. They usually seem to stop due to: extremely hard ground, roots, rocks, or for no apparent reason. By late summer parts of their enclosure looks like a miniature World War II battleground that's taken numerous mortar rounds. But eventually all eggs seem to get properly laid.
  10. Yourlocalpoet

Okay, so more digging (on and off inside) but no laying, and she’s been a bit lethargic for the past couple of weeks. Went to the vet this morning and x ray says there’s no eggs.

The vet has kept her to give an ultra sound as he says it’s possible she has follicular statis, which may be causing the digging. I wasn’t familiar with this, so I’ve had to do some googling.

Apparently if she has this, it means surgery to remove the follicles, which is gutting.

He seemed to think it was strange that at 15 years she hadn’t laid any eggs before and should already be doing so.

Anyone experienced this before?