EASTER EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsten_Lenz

5 Year Member
Well, my young 5 yr old Ellie (redfoot tort) originally gave me her first eggy on Valentine's day. And just now, I passed her tank and said "Give me an Easter Egg!" and went to unpack my groceries and when I came back, she had a big eggy sitting right behind her!

This one is a bit more elongated then the first and bigger and I still do not believe she has ever been mated in my keeping so I assume there is no baby torts for me but there is a lot of clear mucus and some blood streaking. I would like to know if this is normal?

I will take eggy pictures right now.

Kirsten && Ellie

Kirsten_Lenz

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:

Yeah I thought it was way cool too!

Here's the 2nd egg!
100_3979.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you going to try and incubate them? Female Tortoises can hold sperm until then want? To use it. Not sure what it is called, but they can. I would try it if it were me. Unless of course you have had her since she was a baby, well then you would know for sure she has never mated.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
ohhh incubate it, wouldn't it be awesome if something came of it?!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can someone say how long before you can candle it to see if there is anything in it?. It would be so cool, if there was a baby. However if they didn't think to try and incubate, it would probably be to late now, right?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
You could candle it now to see if there are any veins, that could help tell if it's fertile.

Kirsten_Lenz

5 Year Member
Weda737 said:
You could candle it now to see if there are any veins, that could help tell if it's fertile.

Well I candled both and the first was just a plain old unfertilized egg
100_3963.jpg

And the second I believe is also unfertilized and in the fridge cuz my dad wants to show his friend. Ellie is really kinda on the small size for a 5 year old and to my knowledge has not been bred. I've owned her for about 2 years now so I doubt she has been mated.

And I thought only snakes retained sperm! Shows what I know! But of course I did check before cracking one and keeping the other. I would like to eventually breed her but I dunno if I have the money for the incubator or whatever. Or who I'd even sell the babies to.

Kirsten && Ellie

100_3091.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.