Under bite on hatchling Leopard

Cassidys

Location (City and/or State)
Fountain valley
Hi all,
My hatchling is having a hard time eating. His bottom jaw gets stuck on his top jaw and it looks like it causing pain. This is causing a clicking noise. I took him to the vet and the vet said he is too young to shave down the Bottom beak... also, he will not bit a cuttle bone to help. Any advise?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hi all,
My hatchling is having a hard time eating. His bottom jaw gets stuck on his top jaw and it looks like it causing pain. This is causing a clicking noise. I took him to the vet and the vet said he is too young to shave down the Bottom beak... also, he will not bit a cuttle bone to help. Any advise?
U would need to post some pics for ppl to give u advice

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If his beak can't be filed yet, you need to use a food dish that will help wear it down.

The best thing to use is the saucer from a terra cotta flower pot. You can buy them at garden centers, Lowe's, Home Depot, maybe WalMart.

They look like this...get the one with the roughest surface. And if you're not using one of these for his water dish, get another one big enough for him to get into.
20200626_140447.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
You can order cuttlebone wholesale from ebay.com. That's where I get mine for my red foots. You might have to wait a little while if you get your order from China, but I'm not sure. Mabey faster!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
May I please see a picture?

I had that problem with a group of intergrade Manouria I raised and traced it back to not enough calcium.