Bottom jaw worn down too far?

Chloe Robinson

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton, UK
Hi,

I have a 2 year old Hermann tortoise called Wilson. Recently I've noticed that his bottom jaw has become very flat, which I think is due to him eating his cuttlefish in an awkward way. You can see from my profile picture (taken about 12 months ago) that it wasn't always this way, and he doesn't appear to have a large beak. I have attached some photos of him taken last night - it doesn't seem to be causing him any problems, but I have taken his cuttlefish away as a precaution until I can find out whether it's going to wear his bottom jaw down too far and cause problems.

Does anyone have any experience of their torts wearing their bottom jaw down instead of their beak, or any suggestions as to how I can prevent him from wearing it down further? It's a shame to take his cuttlefish away from him as he loves it! :)

Thanks in advance,

ChloéIMG_1619.jpgIMG_1622.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
That's strange, maybe less access to the cuttlefish (not daily)? Is he still eating daily? If it seems to look like it causes any discomfort, then it maybe a problem.

Chloe Robinson

Southampton, UK
That's strange, maybe less access to the cuttlefish (not daily)? Is he still eating daily? If it seems to look like it causes any discomfort, then it maybe a problem.

Thanks for the reply, yes he's still eating perfectly and has a good diet of a variety of fresh greens, with calcium power roughly twice a week. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all (I don't think he even realises!) I'm just worried that if left it'll completely wear down his bottom jaw, causing problems which can't be reversed. Would rather combat the problem now rather than wait until it's too late.

I'm hoping that the bottom jaw grows back like the beak does, so maybe i'll let him have the cuttlefish just once a week for a few weeks and see if it gets any better.

Chloe Robinson

Southampton, UK
I doubt it's the cuttlebone. He's had some sort of accident that chipped off that chunk.

I was certain it wasn't an injury as it's been getting progressively worse over the last two months or so (around the same time his cuttlefish was re-introduced), so I assumed it was the cuttlefish or maybe he's been scraping it along his slate while trying to pick up food? My partner works from home in the same room as Wilson so I will ask him to keep an eye out to see what he's up to!