Leopard Tortoise With Overgrown Bottom Beak

nln237

Location (City and/or State)
OHIO
I have a 3 year old leopard tortoise,Beans, who has had a growing bottom beak for almost a year. I have tried taking him to several vets and they have even given him gas because he will not sit still for them to dremel it down. The last vet visit they were able to shave it down a little bit. I am wondering if anybody knows how I should go about getting it trimmed even more because I do not want it causing any issues. He has a healthy appetite and eats different lettuces, veggies and fruits on occasion, and tortoise pellets. I also have had him feeding on a stone in hopes the beak could possibly shave down. Also, feel free to ask questions because i’m not sure what is causing Beans’ issue and i would like to figure out what I am doing wrong because my russian tortoise has never had this issue. Also, the photo attached is after the vet recently tried shaving his beak.

Attachments

• A3D1BBAB-A4A7-476F-B3DA-839C437F10F6.jpeg
    A3D1BBAB-A4A7-476F-B3DA-839C437F10F6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my experience this happens when the tortoise has been raised without enough calcium. You just have to make sure he has a good diet, and keep filing that beak back. I had some like that and about once a month I got out the Dremmel and ground back just a little. It took about a year but eventually the beak started looking more normal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First stop feeding fruit even occasionally. It's bad for leopards and most species.
Add calcium just a small pinch 2 times a week on his food
Btw, what are you feeding him? Name all of it so we can help you improve it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try finding white or red rock or brick and see if he will occasionally bite at it, it may help.
Otherwise you can try to put two fingers just behind his head and squeeze very lightly. Usually this will keep their head out and then I would use nail clippers and just a tiny bit at a time clip at it or if you are comfortable with a drummer use that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had to have help. You actually need four hands. We placed the tortoise on the top of a 4x4 post with his legs dangling and one of us supporting the tortoise on the post while holding the tortoise's head behind the jaws so he can't retract into the shell. Then the other person operates the Dremmel.