Unexpected new addition....

S2G

Location (City and/or State)
AL
Per the usually FB has thrown me a curve ball yet again. I was suppose to be recieving a 3yr old sulcata. The guy just dropped a box of at work & left. Well it was a very small box. Hmmm. I open it & its an "orange dream" ball python. I tried to messenger him & of course im blocked lol.

I used to be afraid of snakes before i had my own land & had to move numerous non venomous away from the house. Well now Im taking a crash course in ball pythons😅. This is an old dart frog 40g breeder i kept put away.

Im trying to figure out what basking area you use for something thats nocturnal. Its been a really cool addition so far & very cool looking snake.

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_39628750-8d56-4d00-8d0e-3c3d01e2d9fd.jpg
    Messenger_creation_39628750-8d56-4d00-8d0e-3c3d01e2d9fd.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240712_134031.jpg
    20240712_134031.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240712_134054.jpg
    20240712_134054.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240712_134123.jpg
    20240712_134123.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240712_134517.jpg
    20240712_134517.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240712_134533.jpg
    20240712_134533.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240712_134638.jpg
    20240712_134638.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

S2G

AL
Wow - that's one helluva mix-up. I don't have any advice to offer you, but glad you're enjoying it!
Oh its not a mix up. He just dumped it on me. I thought id do some people a favor & give their old tortoise a good home. Its been a headache & then some. Everyone is trying to dump a ball python or bearded dragon on me. Wife is going to freak out 🤣

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
most use under-tank heaters on a thermostat or RHP on the hot side hide then room temp on the cool side. I still do a 12 hr day night cycle and they do wander around while the lights are on from time to time. Enjoy!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Oh its not a mix up. He just dumped it on me. I thought id do some people a favor & give their old tortoise a good home. Its been a headache & then some. Everyone is trying to dump a ball python or bearded dragon on me. Wife is going to freak out 🤣
Oh! The way I read it the guy was supposed to drop off a sulcata and gave you a snake instead. My wife would royally freak too. lol

S2G

AL
most use under-tank heaters on a thermostat or RHP on the hot side hide then room temp on the cool side. I still do a 12 hr day night cycle and they do wander around while the lights are on from time to time. Enjoy!
Oh ok so Im ok with just an rhp? I have my inkbird, smart plugs, etc from my indoor days. My basking stuff is all for testudo or redfoot though.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Oh ok so Im ok with just an rhp? I have my inkbird, smart plugs, etc from my indoor days. My basking stuff is all for testudo or redfoot though.
That would be fine. I keep the warm hide around 88 and the cool side hide mid 70’s

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use RHPs for them. Best if you have an Inkbird with the day and night settings. I like 85 during the day and 80 at night for BPs, and I like them to have a thick horizontal "basking branch" about 8-10 inches under the RHP. I also make a humid hide for them with coco coir or chips and long fiber sphagnum moss in it. I use a dark colored small plastic tub and cut out a door hole with a hole saw. Keep humidity high.

Mine would go off food when I let them drop into the 70s. I've always kept them in the 80s.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
A lot of people get the wrong information on caring for their tortoise from Facebook. However a completely different species is CRAZY. Can you find him at the reptile show? Was that a lie too? I'm glad I'm not on Facebook. Good luck to you and your wife.

S2G

AL
A lot of people get the wrong information on caring for their tortoise from Facebook. However a completely different species is CRAZY. Can you find him at the reptile show? Was that a lie too? I'm glad I'm not on Facebook. Good luck to you and your wife.
Im done with adoption on FB. I gave it a chance, but theres too many people that just dont act right. Im sure i'll run into him locally at something. Straight kick to the nuts on sight! Its pretty sad to be honest. The amount of people that treat these animals as expendable is staggering.

S2G

AL
88-92 is a good warm hide range i keep humidity 60-70 and never had any shed issues
Perfect
I use RHPs for them. Best if you have an Inkbird with the day and night settings. I like 85 during the day and 80 at night for BPs, and I like them to have a thick horizontal "basking branch" about 8-10 inches under the RHP. I also make a humid hide for them with coco coir or chips and long fiber sphagnum moss in it. I use a dark colored small plastic tub and cut out a door hole with a hole saw. Keep humidity high.

Mine would go off food when I let them drop into the 70s. I've always kept them in the 80s.
Good info thanks! Can you link me a decent rhp if you dont mind please? I was about to head out to the local DG for some hides, a water dish, & some fake plants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Perfect

Good info thanks! Can you link me a decent rhp if you dont mind please? I was about to head out to the local DG for some hides, a water dish, & some fake plants.
I use the Vivarium Electronics ones. Sold through Reptile Basics or KapidoloFarms.com.

I like the Sweeter Heaters for outdoor tortoise boxes, but not for indoor closed chambers with snakes or lizards that can climb, because of how they are mounted.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The little Ball python is gorgeous 😍. I own six of them but mostly normal, no strikingly beautiful morphs.