Unexpected new family- HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Ok so im an owner of redfoots, leopards, and sulcata. I saw on craigslist an ad for a zoomed tortoise box that comes with a stand with lamp for almost nothing! The owner just had their 2nd baby and they were too busy for their torts. I decided to get the box and I found out the package came with a tortoise in the box. That makes sense I guess. They were looking for a good home. Well it had a very small and pyramided red foot that they had for seven years and it is about 5 inches long or more. they said it was with sulcatas from the original owners. Although it was vey pyramided it was super active.That might mean the tort is over 7 years of age. Just guessing. I told them Ill take the tortoise box with the redfoot but he said there was two torts with this package. He opened the hide area and there was a box turtle. maybe about 5 inches as well. Big little guy. They said theyve had him for about 3 years and they got it wild caught. It looks like an animal bit it when it was in the wild but its not that bad. I was really shocked because he said theyve been living together for 3 years. I took the box with the torts for almost nothing. I am not experienced at all with box turtles and Im guessing this is an EBT but not completely sure. What do you think and also can you give me advice on how to raise it? Also all my redfoots are very smooth. How should I prevent it from further pyramiding? Im guessing I just keep it humid, proper temps, and have a proper diet. They are now separated! I am so surprised they are in good health. Tips TFO members? (I told myself no more. all I wanted was a tortoise box but these two new family member came in by surprise)

8108021041_fbf679ce4c.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0539 by Drewslife727, on Flickr[/img]

8108029780_1da9c2bd88.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0542 by Drewslife727, on Flickr[/img]

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
That looks like it could be an eastern box. It has the red eyes of a male. It doesn't seem likely it would be wild caught if they found it in CA. Can you post a better pic of the shell?

I know they need lots of humidity and like to hide under leaf litter. Not sure how compatible it is with a redfoot though. I think they have different temperature needs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is a very colorful 3-toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis), and more than likely a male. The females are sometimes colorful, but usually not.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Since they have been together for so long, I would most probably keep them togewther at least through the quarantine period. It might make their transition easier for you both. Similar care.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Tortus said:
That looks like it could be an eastern box. It has the red eyes of a male. It doesn't seem likely it would be wild caught if they found it in CA. Can you post a better pic of the shell?

I know they need lots of humidity and like to hide under leaf litter. Not sure how compatible it is with a redfoot though. I think they have different temperature needs.

He said he purchased it three years ago as WC

Here are more pics of the box tort. Not sure if its a 3 toed. It has more than 3 toes! haha but maybe thats just a novice observation from me and maybe some 3 toed have more :D

8109177293_2cc458caca.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0548 by Drewslife727, on Flickr[/img]

8109178477_0ab39285e3.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0547 by Drewslife727, on Flickr[/img]

8109179483_ef4f2f4b30.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0546 by Drewslife727, on Flickr[/img]

8109188756_89edf9bf21.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0545 by Drewslife727, on Flickr[/img]

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Yes, it's a male three toed, a particularly nice looking one at that. Three toed usually indicates the number of toes on the back feet. Though they occasionally have four.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
great find and these guys are lucky to have you :) as far as i know, easterns and redfoots have different care needs (in terms of diet, temps, humidity, etc.) i'm a boxie guy and learned a ton about proper care from www.aboxturtle.com. check it out! your boxie, to my eyes, just might be a hybrid eastern/three toed.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've seen hundreds of wild eastern box turtles throughout my life since they're so plentiful on the eastern shore of Maryland, and when I was a kid my dad would always move them off the road where they like to sun themselves. Their shell patterns and colors vary greatly, but I don't recall seeing anything like that. I've been looking up pics of three toed and don't see any that look quite like that either, so maybe it is a hybrid. I found this eastern pic that's sort of similar, but not quite it:

Eastern%20Box%20Turtle%20-%20New%20Jersey%20-%20June%202007%20-%20009.JPG

I don't know about three toed, but easterns tend to have a lot of orange on their heads like the one you have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have several 3-toed box turtles with that shell pattern. Its pretty common.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yeah I've looked at some more pics and apparently it is a three toed. Most of them look plain and dull compared to this one.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, keep them together for now, they've made it this far.
TerryO had a redfoot and box turtle together when they were young, they didn't thrive when they were separated.

These two may have may have enclosure/food needs that are somewhat different, but not enough that you can't set something up. Coir/topsoil/cypress....plants....a basking area...

What a find!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Some members have kept the two species together, but I believe in large outdoor enclosures. Great story!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
In the purest sense, no they should be separated. Whatever comfort level you have and it's a personal choice.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
DrewsLife727 said:
Ok this is new to me. So in this case it is fine for them to be together?

Since they've been together for three years they are most likely used to each other's presence and might be stressed to find themselves in a new environment without their buddy. I actually keep a red foot and a 3 toe together, where one goes, the other follows. They don't interact per se but they "have" to be shell by shell at all times 😍 It's the cutest thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.