New turtle family

Monical223

Location (City and/or State)
Germantown
We took possession of a eastern box turtle who was hatched and kept as a family pet. We have had him for a week and he’s not eating much. Should we be worried? We are giving him the same food he was fed at his previous home, along with fresh fruit and veggies every day. We’re starting to get worried

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
How old is she/he?

Temperature kept at? They like it a bit warmer than we humans do....but not desert hot.

A shallow(should not even come up halfway), just enough to cover his bottom shell makes a good soaking tub for them too....and they REALLY need water!

A small animal not expending energy can go on for some time w/o eating, if your little guy or gal is scampering around, it's critical that they eat and DRINK,

Good luck with your little guy!

Pics are always welcome too, especially of the little guys!

jeff

Monical223

Germantown
Thank you. He’s about 5. It’s about 72-73 in his enclosure. He crawls into his water dish. We have almost the same set up as he had at his other home.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You "might" want to give him a warmer area of his enclosure, I slipped one of these under Matilda's acrylic home, it takes a thermometer to set it but tape the dial and it won't move once you set it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZP7KL4W/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Matilda LOVES worms, red radishes and apparently, Banana's<!?!> and is most active in her sweet spot of low 80's.

Low 70's might be too cold this time of year......but there's a bunch of smart people here so hopefully they will chime it.

jeff

Monical223

Germantown
You "might" want to give him a warmer area of his enclosure, I slipped one of these under Matilda's acrylic home, it takes a thermometer to set it but tape the dial and it won't move once you set it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZP7KL4W/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Matilda LOVES worms, red radishes and apparently, Banana's<!?!> and is most active in her sweet spot of low 80's.

Low 70's might be too cold this time of year......but there's a bunch of smart people here so hopefully they will chime it.

jeff
Thank you Jeff
I’m going to petsmart to get him some worms and I may get him a brighter light he has a 13 wht I may get home the 26

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It is not at all unusual for a box turtle who has undergone a change in environment to stop eating and yet not suffer any long term damage. They are creatures of habit and any change will give them pause. Temps for a 5 year old should range from approximately 86F on the warm end of the enclosure to 76F on the cool end to give them the choice to move between temperature zones. If you post some pictures of the turtles home we can offer some additional suggestions. Box turtles dont like bright light but may need some UVB light if they aren't getting enough vitamin D in their diet.

Monical223

Germantown
It is not at all unusual for a box turtle who has undergone a change in environment to stop eating and yet not suffer any long term damage. They are creatures of habit and any change will give them pause. Temps for a 5 year old should range from approximately 86F on the warm end of the enclosure to 76F on the cool end to give them the choice to move between temperature zones. If you post some pictures of the turtles home we can offer some additional suggestions. Box turtles dont like bright light but may need some UVB light if they aren't getting enough vitamin D in their diet.
He has a 13 wt uvb bulb on him. I bought live meal worms tonight and he showed no interest. I’ll take a picture and attach it tomorrow. I put Romain lettuce and a part of a hard boiled egg in for him tonight. We will see how he does with that.