Unsettled

Nutkins82

Location (City and/or State)
Otley, leeds
Hi everyone, I took on a rescue spur thigh just over two months ago now as she was left on the doorstep of my place of work. She was in a very bad way and the vets didn’t think she’d make it, she is about 30 or 40 yrs old the vets reckons and has been thriving eating plenty and a good varied diet putting weight on. The table I bought was a panic buy as needed something for her I always knew it wasn’t big enough..! My dad has made a new table for her she’s had it a week today and she is not happy with it at all, hardly eating anything wrecking the place and has now started climbing in the corners she has never tried this before. Tried putting her back in the old table to see if she would calm down, which she did for abit sat under her lamp just basking then suddenly become hyperactive almost pacing up and down the side rubbing/banging her shell against the sides and trying to climb the sides again.
I’m really getting upset about this as she was absolutely fine until I moved her I know they don’t like change and I knew she wouldn’t appreciate it straight away but I can see she’s getting very stressed by it all and I don’t honestly know what to do for the best. Main question is will she settle..? I’ve taken everything out of her new home and just left basics in for her but for the hours I work I’m very worried she’s going to either get out or is going to flip herself and not be able to get up. It’s all wood the new house so no glass and substrate is a mix of soil and coco coir temps are good. Any help will be much appreciated

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone, I took on a rescue spur thigh just over two months ago now as she was left on the doorstep of my place of work. She was in a very bad way and the vets didn’t think she’d make it, she is about 30 or 40 yrs old the vets reckons and has been thriving eating plenty and a good varied diet putting weight on. The table I bought was a panic buy as needed something for her I always knew it wasn’t big enough..! My dad has made a new table for her she’s had it a week today and she is not happy with it at all, hardly eating anything wrecking the place and has now started climbing in the corners she has never tried this before. Tried putting her back in the old table to see if she would calm down, which she did for abit sat under her lamp just basking then suddenly become hyperactive almost pacing up and down the side rubbing/banging her shell against the sides and trying to climb the sides again.
I’m really getting upset about this as she was absolutely fine until I moved her I know they don’t like change and I knew she wouldn’t appreciate it straight away but I can see she’s getting very stressed by it all and I don’t honestly know what to do for the best. Main question is will she settle..? I’ve taken everything out of her new home and just left basics in for her but for the hours I work I’m very worried she’s going to either get out or is going to flip herself and not be able to get up. It’s all wood the new house so no glass and substrate is a mix of soil and coco coir temps are good. Any help will be much appreciated
Eventually the tortoise will get used to the new enclosure. You just have to be patient. Try putting a fair number of hiding areas in so the tortoise can feel secure. Plants (real or artificial) with drooping leaves are always appreciated. Also a cardboard box turned upside down with a doorway cut into it helps them feel more safe in a new place.