update - and more Qs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tictoc

5 Year Member
I'll try and keep it short as last time I rambled and the net went down before I could post, so lost it all!

Right little fella is now eating dandelions/clover with a bit of pursuasion.
I have not yet seen him drink, I don't think he's comfortable getting in and out of his bowl. Today I did buy a lower, larger bowl for him, which he can get out of, I just don't think he likes the getting in bit. I have been kind of bathing him everyday since saturday to keep him hydrated until he starts drinking.

I understand that the tank we bought is not suitable. However we are downsizing in a few months. We also have two cats who are killers. The tank is currently safely above the ground with mesh covering. A tortoise table on the floor is just too dangerous, so, does anyone have any more suitable recommendations that can still fit on a desk or something?

Also, if anyone has any UK recommendations for online places I can buy useful tortoise stuff, then please let me know!

Any extra reading on Hermanns online is also appreciated, if anyone wants to point me in the right direction.

His lighting I am still confused about. ATM I have switched the UVB light to the plain yellow bulb, which seems a lot hotter which is good. We can only put one lamp on at a time, so the yellow one goes on from the afternoons into the night, but he has not lamp on at night - is this correct? I am unsure as to whether he actually needs the UVB lamp - the warm end of the tank is situated next to a big window, so should we just put it on when its cloudy?

Also the thermometers we bought are awful. Any tortoise safe recommendations that can be stuck on glass safely?

Annnnnd one more thing, we are laying off the fruit and just offering him dandelion leaves and clover and bits of grass, is this okay?

thanks for any help. Will keep browsing the forum and pick up as much info as poss. :shy:

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
You don't want a thermometer on the glass. You need to take the temperature at the substrate level, in many areas, to determine the gradient and that one area is not ever too warm or cool. Ideally you would have a laser thermometer for example and take the temperature in a few areas every day at the warmest and coolest time of day until you get a handle on things (and then when the weather changes), You adjust heating and lighting accordingly by temperature.

A tort table can be put on a cabinet, have legs (and even casters built), etc. You don't want it on the floor due to draft and your pets. Sounds like you need it covered anyways. hardware cloth is a great thing for still allowing UVB in but it's a fine enough mesh that it can provide some (but not 100%) safety from the cats.

The window allows next to none UVB though. Don't count on any UVB getting through; you need UVB.

Also, never place a glass aquarium near a window! They really heat up and become ovens! Same with they cannot be placed outside. That is why you need to know the temperature at the substrate level at the hottest part of the enclosure in the hottest part of the day.

No light at night. They need it dark like humans to sleep. They also need a temperature drop at night like they get in the wild. In winter you may need heat for them if your house is kept cold (under 65 deg F in my opinion).

Keep trying different dishes and setups until he can get in and out easily. They make a "groovy jacuzzi" bowl that I specifically have found great as it has little steps. Even my little one uses it easily and now he drinks water everyday on his own when he used to not do that.

In my opinion he needs more variety than dandelion, clover, and grass. Try different safe greens, plants, veggie leaves, etc. Spring mix is great. Usually at least 5 kinds of greens in it. I even vary the brand week to week to get more variety out of it, and then add things to it daily.

Best wishes.

tictoc

5 Year Member
Thank tortoisenerd.

Okay what about a rabbitcage instead of a tort table? that way we can be sure it is 100% catproof, and tort can't see out.
When it has got hot we have pulled the blinds down.

ooh, where would I get this jacuzzi bowl from? and can I get spring mix in the UK? Will have a hunt around for it as I've had lots of recommendations of spring mix.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Long Post:

tictoc, I use a rabbit cage and they work great. Just make sure your cats can't get their paws thru the bars of the cage part, or they will be batting him around. There are lots of tort tables in our Enclosure sections people make them from all sorts of things from Rabbit cages to bookshelves to custom two story jobs Check it out.

UVB is a necessity. You can provide it by taking him outside for a couple of hours a day or you can get a uvb bulb. There are several types of uvb bulbs. Mercury vapor bulbs (MVB) florescent tubes, and spiral type bulbs. I do not recommend the latter. MVB provides heat and UVB light florescent tubes only provide UVB light. So you would need a heat lamp (infrared, black light or ceramic heat emitter (these provide no light at all) would all work as torts do not see the infrared or black light). Here is a site that will tell you all you ever need to know about lights and perhaps even some things you don’t want to know :p http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

In the states we can get them at Petco. You may have to do a search for them or order them from online.
Zoo Med makes a Repti Ramp Bowl that I have found works well for older torts. If you have a small hatchling a hermit crab bowl made on the same lines works well. http://www.petco.com/product/14367/Zoo-Med-Repti-Ramp-Bowl.aspx?CoreCat=RepAmp_Turtles

Fluker's makes the Groovy Jacuzzi
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=109418&Ntt=Jacuzzi bowl&OneResultRedirect=1

A good and more accurate way to do your temps may be the Tempgun you can find those here www.tempgun.com They are pretty reasonable compared to some you get in pet stores.

For humidity getting a humidity gauge from www.Eggcarton.com is reasonably priced and accurate.

Substrate Please do not use pine, fir or cedar these can be deadly to little torts. Cypress mulch will hold water well to keep your humidity up while the top layer dries out or you can use soil and sand mix 70/30% mix. Straight soil, aspen if you provide a humid hide.

Oh and placing a cuttle bone, yes the kind for birds, in with your tort will offer him calcium if he should want extra. I keep one in with all my torts.

Hopes this helps. Also check out the Hermanns forum here and HermanniChis is a great source and has a great website for hermanns.

Status
Not open for further replies.