Update on baby redfoot: we named her Ripple :)

C-Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Lodi, CA
Hi there tortoise peeps!

I would just like to begin by saying thank you to the many members (you know who you are) who were so very helpful in the creation and fine tuning of my enclosure. Ripple seems to be adjusting well. I’ve had her for a couple of weeks now, and she is just beginning to explore her space and use other hides that I have set up for her instead of just going to her favorite hide and staying there all day.

Her daily routine is waking up by being placed into her water dish (opposite side of the enclosure from her favorite hide) and spraying her with mist. Sometimes I give her a warm soak instead of a misting if I have time. I have live plants (aloe, strawberry, and seedlings from a seed mixture purchased on tortoisesupply) in the enclosure that she enjoys checking out and eating, but other than that she likes to spend the majority of her time hiding out. I expected this behavior from my hatchling, and nothing has been too surprising yet. However, I do have a couple of concerns which may be related to one another...

First of all, I have a thermostat in the enclosure that was originally set at 86F. I would like for the side of the enclosure with the thermostat probe to stabilize around that temp, however when I check the temperature with my laser thermometer, it says that the actual temperature is closer to 94F. I tried changing the thermostat to 80F in the hopes of dropping the actual temperature by 6 degrees, but now my laser thermometer gives me readings that are too low, around 77F. Should I get a new thermostat, or is this something I should expect when using a thermostat with ceramic heat bulbs? Furthermore, over the past few days I’ve noticed that Ripples eyes are usually closed when I take her out of her enclosure. When I give her a warm soak or mist, her eyes open right up. I assume this is caused by dirt in the eyes and maybe from her being too hot...

Any thoughts, ideas, help, and/or input on this matter is MOST appreciated!!

Best,
-C

Attachments

• 0F7CBCAD-7819-4360-9BBB-87207B634C8B.jpeg
    0F7CBCAD-7819-4360-9BBB-87207B634C8B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

daniellenc

Maryland
Where is your thermostats probe and what are the temps mid cage, and on the opposite end where there is no CHE? If those are 80-85 it’s fine. Also his hide needs to be 80 and above inside. Under the CHE if it’s 90-95 degrees that is normal and ok. Mine actually basks and moves when he’s had enough.

daniellenc

Maryland
And she shouldn’t have dirt in her eyes what substrate do you use?

C-Turtle

Lodi, CA
Oh okay that’s good to know. I will turn the thermostat up some in that case. Seeing temps in the 90s was causing my head to spin. Glad it’s normal. She spends most of her time underneath her hide that is nearby the CHE though. Should I maybe move this hide so she isn’t spending too much time in the heat?

I have coconut coir. It’s weird. Her eyes seem to be closed at times like she cannot open them. Then, I spray her, and her eyes go back to normal. I’ve been spraying and soaking more than usual to maybe help them retain any moisture they are losing...

daniellenc

Maryland
Check the temps in her hide. If they’re in the 80’s all is well. The eye thing is not normal though and I suspect is the coconut coir causing irritation. Try covering it with orchid bark to prevent the coir from getting in her eyes.

C-Turtle

Lodi, CA
Her hide is typically in the 90s. It is almost directly beneath her CHE. Maybe she hasn’t learned to seek relief from the heat on the other side of the enclosure yet. Should I move the hide?

I ordered some orchid bark. It’s on the way.

Thanks,
-c

daniellenc

Maryland
Can you post pics of your setup? My hide is also by my CHE set to 84 degrees. It’s 90 right under it but my probe is 4 inches away so that mid cage is 82-80, end cage is 80-82, and in his hide is always a steady 80. You may need to move something but it’s hard to tell what without seeing. His hide should be hotter than low 80’s.