Update on Dipp and Dott, and some questions (DUW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Well ever since I started doing everything you guys suggested they have been growing like crazy, They have each gained 20+ grams and are enjoying being able to dig. The main questions I have are:

1. Is the lightening between their scutes normal, it almost looks marbleized, I did the best that I could to show the it on them.

2. Is it normal for one to have a higher "dome" then the other? They have been together their whole lives and receive the exact same care, they both eat alot, I always make sure I put enough in so that there is left overs so that I know they both all that they want.

3. Should their carapaces (not sure how that should be pluralized) and plastrons be so different looking?

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated. Now on to the pics

Here is Dipp and Dott next to each other soaking under their UV light
DSCF2806.jpg

Dipps little butt and stubby tail why is it the only time I see their tails is right before they poop. lol
DSCF2805.jpg

Dotts butt and tail, his/hers seems longer even though he/she is smaller
DSCF2804.jpg

Dipp showing the lightening
DSCF2801.jpg

Dott showing the lightening
DSCF2802.jpg

Dipps carapace and plastron
DSCF2810.jpg

DSCF2808.jpg

Dotts c and p
DSCF2812.jpg

DSCF2807.jpg

I just noticed that you can really see the difference in their tails in these last pics, Dipp is bigger then Dott but still has a shorter tail. Is that bad?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Yes. Normal. Your really see a lot of this on Leopards.
2. Yes again. There is quite a bit of variability here. Some are almost flat and some are really high domed. I was just recently looking at a box of around 40 hatchlings from several clutches and I was amazed at the variability.
3. Yes again. Normal.
4. I'm going to make an early guess that Dipp is female and Dott is male. Way to early to tell for sure. Just having fun. Is Dott more boisterous and active? Does Dipp spend more time hiding?

They look really good. Glad to hear about the weight gain.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
Tom said:
4. I'm going to make an early guess that Dipp is female and Dott is male. Way to early to tell for sure. Just having fun. Is Dott more boisterous and active? Does Dipp spend more time hiding?

They look really good. Glad to hear about the weight gain.

Now that is a bit upsetting if they are male and female, but at least that is better then two males. And you just hit the nail on the head with the behaviors, Dott will actually let me rub his/her head and Dipp would be more then happy if I disappeared, as long as food still magically appeared.

Thanks for the reassurances, I'm am really liking Torts more and more everyday. I kind of dig the color coming in on them, I really wish I had found this place a year ago, I'm sure they would be alot bigger by now. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think everyone on this forum wishes they had found it sooner. I sure do.

Thanks again to Josh and the Mods for a great forum!!! Oh yeah, I guess the members deserve some recognition too. Thanks other members!!!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Amen, this is a great forum. Your torts look good :)

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
This forum is way beyond great! I just can't get enough. Incredible people with even more incredible knowledge with a passion to share it. What more could we ask for?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm glad you got a lot of good information that helped you. Your babies look wonderful, very healthy and happy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.