Update on Tuck

RascalMama

Location (City and/or State)
Nyc
A few weeks ago my family adopted a 3-4 year old Russian Tortoise from a summer camp. We named him Tuck and I came to the forum to ask for help learning how to care for him. I am so grateful for all the replies and wanted to post an update.

Tuck is settling in nicely to his new home. He's been pretty active in spurts throughout the day and is enjoying his new surroundings. We eventually settled on a 4ft x 13 inch tank we found for super cheap on Facebook. Not ideal but I wanted something I could lock at night (my eldest son is severely autistic and doesn't quite grasp Tortoise safety just yet...but he's super excited about learning [emoji6]) Also, our buddy was initially kept in a very small tank so this was already a vast improvement. We then added a loft and a ramp for him as well as some slate, some live plants to nibble on and a reptile calcium block, thermometers, humidity gauge, IMG_3631.jpgIMG_3593.jpgand better lights. I tracked down a supermarket that sold dandelion greens and have been feeding him that with a little mazuri to supplement. Still looking to make some updates and changed for our newest family member but it's been fun learning about and caring for him. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I think you should re-read the suggestion from your thread. A few things in that thread you have yet to work on. It looks like you have enough space to go for a bigger enclosure.

Suggestions:
1. The substrate level is too low for an Adult Russian. I've covered this reason in your last thread. Please read it again.
2. A double level setup would still require lighting on both levels. Tortoises are not going to be active in dark areas.
3. Are you using the entire bottom level as a hide? That's a lot of space not being utilized. I also do not see any hide boxes anywhere in the enclosure.
4. Does your tortoise stay under that light (What type of light bulb is that) without a hide?
5. Clamps are very unreliable and can break, causing the light fixture to fall into the enclosure. This has happened to many people.
6. A non mesh top would help keep heat and humidity from escaping.

RascalMama

Nyc
I think you should re-read the suggestion from your thread. A few things in that thread you have yet to work on. It looks like you have enough space to go for a bigger enclosure.

Suggestions:
1. The substrate level is too low for an Adult Russian. I've covered this reason in your last thread. Please read it again.
2. A double level setup would still require lighting on both levels. Tortoises are not going to be active in dark areas.
3. Are you using the entire bottom level as a hide? That's a lot of space not being utilized. I also do not see any hide boxes anywhere in the enclosure.
4. Does your tortoise stay under that light (What type of light bulb is that) without a hide?
5. Clamps are very unreliable and can break, causing the light fixture to fall into the enclosure. This has happened to many people.
6. A non mesh top would help keep heat and humidity from escaping.