urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

lito

5 Year Member
YEAH. i went to the vet today and while there lito peed. the vet looked at him, took him in the back and came out with a huge piece of calcium (the size of my nail). so one step has been reached. now that the huge thing came out lito started to eat again, is showing some personality ans his penis went right back in. i have another apt for wednesday. hopefully there will be good news and lito will be able to keep all of his parts. i am really happy that they were able to get the calcium out. hopefully things will continue in a positive way for my little lito.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Ouch. Hope you have short nails :).

So glad the worst is over. Some ice cream for your pain and he'll be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is good news! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

lito

5 Year Member
lito has been showing awesome progress. he is eating and has gained his weight back. he is con't to be soaked with lots of stuff coming out. the vet took more x-rays and they show that everything is out. lito's butt swelled up again and the vet wants me to keep him lubricated with bari-care. he just needs to go poo. also, there is gross gray stuff coming out of him and underneath is pretty pinkness on his penis. things are so much better. just thought i would update. i'll let you all know when he finally poos.

M

Maggie Cummings

Well that's good news! Keep us posted...we appreciate the updates

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All this bawdy talk, I am turning red. :)

lito

5 Year Member
well, after all of this lito has been given a clean bill of health. the necrotic tissue that was gray and ugly has peeled off and he now has a pretty pink man dangle that is back where it belongs. he has gained back all of his weight plus some. everything is looking better. plus he is back to a fairly regular schedule of passing everything through (pooing)!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
lito said:
well, after all of this lito has been given a clean bill of health. the necrotic tissue that was gray and ugly has peeled off and he now has a pretty pink man dangle that is back where it belongs. he has gained back all of his weight plus some. everything is looking better. plus he is back to a fairly regular schedule of passing everything through (pooing)!

What does the vet attribute the original stones to? Dehydration I assume?

lito

5 Year Member
no. he said that lito got enough calcuim from his diet (romain, collards, veggies) and all the natural sunlight i give him. he said that he most likely didn't need the extra calcium 2-3 times per week that i was giving him. he says that it's a shakey area to determine how much is enough and where it turns into too much because you don't want him to get a soft shell. so for right now the vet says not to give him any extra calcium.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
lito said:
no. he said that lito got enough calcuim from his diet (romain, collards, veggies) and all the natural sunlight i give him. he said that he most likely didn't need the extra calcium 2-3 times per week that i was giving him. he says that it's a shakey area to determine how much is enough and where it turns into too much because you don't want him to get a soft shell. so for right now the vet says not to give him any extra calcium.

I have two books on Hermanns, and they say the same thing. "Offer cuttlebone and/or a bowl of powder, but don't sprinkle on the food as its effects are not yet known" So, thats what I do. Little or big, male or female.....they all know where the bowl of calcium is!

lito

5 Year Member
bettinge said:
lito said:

I have two books on Hermanns, and they say the same thing. "Offer cuttlebone and/or a bowl of powder, but don't sprinkle on the food as its effects are not yet known" So, thats what I do. Little or big, male or female.....they all know where the bowl of calcium is!

that may have been the difference. i didn't know to not put the calcium on the food. i always put the calcium on the food. so now you know what can happen if the calcium on the food instead of just placed in the tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lito said:
the necrotic tissue that was gray and ugly has peeled off and he now has a pretty pink man dangle that is back where it belongs.

LOL!!! Nice way to talk about the X-rated boy parts!!

I'm so glad they didn't have to amputate his "man dangle!"

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That was quite a thread as I read it again. I am so happy that he got to keep his penis and I'm sure in time he will be too. Pat yourself on the back as I find you to be one of the better owners. I think that you're lucky that you had a vet that knew what he was talking about with tortoises and if you live anywhere near LA I'd like his number. Good luck and everything sounds wonderful now. :) Oh and now that we know him personally maybe you could post some pictures of the little guy.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
lito said:
well, after all of this lito has been given a clean bill of health. the necrotic tissue that was gray and ugly has peeled off and he now has a pretty pink man dangle that is back where it belongs.

Kind of gives a whole new meaning to your term of endearment, "Lito Bump". ;)

I think Candy has a very valid point: after all we've been through rooting for Lito, he owes us some mug shots! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.