Urgent Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, UK
Hey People,

One of the first things I got for christmas was a blown bulb for my tortoise! Not even an old one...very annoying! So if anyone knows any pet store in Nottingham (UK) that sells Solar Glo Lamps (Exo Terra) please can you contact me please!!!!

Currently the heating is on at full - hmmm nice and toasty in my room :), and hes been given a heat mat under the substrate...so heating not a problem but don't want him away from UV light for too long!

Thanks in advance
TM

M

Maggie Cummings

Stop worrying, he can be away from a UVB light for a long time. You can use a regular incandescent bulb as they put out a lot of heat and then you don't have to have your heat on full...

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
maggie3fan said:
Stop worrying, he can be away from a UVB light for a long time. You can use a regular incandescent bulb as they put out a lot of heat and then you don't have to have your heat on full...

Phew! Just panicked manically when the light wasn't working!

So would you say order one now and hope it arrives soon?

Thanks alot!
TM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you send the blown bulb back from whence it came and get a replacement? They usually have a bit of a guarantee.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
emysemys said:
Can you send the blown bulb back from whence it came and get a replacement? They usually have a bit of a guarantee.

Hmmm - ill have a nosey if they can do it, but its 3 months old :S so it might be past it :(

M

Maggie Cummings

I would order a good (expensive) MVB and not use a Solar Glo at all... If you are concerned about UVB then get a good MVB. Somebody else will have to suggest what kind because I am still using Trex that you can't get anymore...

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
maggie3fan said:
I would order a good (expensive) MVB and not use a Solar Glo at all... If you are concerned about UVB then get a good MVB. Somebody else will have to suggest what kind because I am still using Trex that you can't get anymore...

Im not vastly worried about UVB - but just wanted to make sure that no serious illness could come about him not having any! Im just in major worry mode atm!

Thanks,
EK

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I have a Powersun MVB. Mega Ray's were not available when I needed it. :D There are many places you can get them online, Amazon had them, if they ship internationally that would be good for you!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise isn't going to suffer any ill effects from being kept under a regular incandescent bulb for a few days. I ordered a 100 watt Powersun UV Zoo Med bulb from Coastal (one of our members in Florida) and received the bulb in only 4 or 5 days. This bulb supposedly provides essential UVA, UVB, light and heat all in one lamp. Self-ballasted mercury vapor lamp.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
My tort had to wait 2 weeks for his bulb and he was fine :) I have Powersun I got at lllreptile.com

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He can't order from the US as the bulbs made here can't handle the higher current in the UK (220 as opposed to 110 here).
Look into your gaurantee and if it's not under gaurantee than just order another bulb. Arcadia is a new bulb company on the market in the UK and they seem to make a good MVB.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, wow...sorry about that. I didn't pay good attention to your post. Its right there in black and white "Nottingham, U.K." (Slaps herself on forehead!!!)

This is a good reason for all our members to go to their User CP page and fill out the spot labeled "location." It really helps us when we know where you are.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
emysemys said:
Oh, wow...sorry about that. I didn't pay good attention to your post. Its right there in black and white "Nottingham, U.K." (Slaps herself on forehead!!!)

This is a good reason for all our members to go to their User CP page and fill out the spot labeled "location." It really helps us when we know where you are.

hehe - nws, and i keep forgetting to update it! :)

and ty people we've managed to get a cheap one off a friend, so crisis over!

Thanks alot!

TM

Status
Not open for further replies.