*urgent!* something coming out of my tortoise's tail

arcavie

Location (City and/or State)
England
my tortoise was ok crawling around then stood up in a position i've never seen before and i saw this come out of her bottom? or vagina? it's gone back in now but she's acting strange stretching her arms out fully etc. which she doesn't usually do. any help would be appreciated thank you so much
a5eb7aa2-b5a7-4403-b929-9e29bd32c26d.jpegf893e8a5-59db-4f33-9c25-4a9cae6361e8.jpeg

ryan57

PA
That is not a her. That's a tortoise penis.

Let me guess, "she" raised up on the front legs and kind of slowly wiggled, maybe moved backward a little? Penis. It's a BOY!!

Stumps first ones were in the tub during a soak and he had a look on his face like "What's happening?"

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
my tortoise was ok crawling around then stood up in a position i've never seen before and i saw this come out of her bottom? or vagina? it's gone back in now but she's acting strange stretching her arms out fully etc. which she doesn't usually do. any help would be appreciated thank you so much
View attachment 378410View attachment 378411
Here is an interesting thread
Thread 'Dude looks like a lady (actually the opposite)'
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/dude-looks-like-a-lady-actually-the-opposite.173148/

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
OK. So it is only male if you see it all the way out and extending almost half of the length of their shell.
I know nothing as fact in this matter. I just read all the threads when I’m drinking my coffee and have seen this come up multiple times. lol. So my understanding is although rare females can flash and look male, but their anatomy is smaller albeit similar in appearance. Either way I pray daily Leonora never flashes me. I’m certain o would immediately panic and be instantly unsure of her sex. Hahahaha

ryan57

PA
I know nothing as fact in this matter. I just read all the threads when I’m drinking my coffee and have seen this come up multiple times. lol. So my understanding is although rare females can flash and look male, but their anatomy is smaller albeit similar in appearance. Either way I pray daily Leonora never flashes me. I’m certain o would immediately panic and be instantly unsure of her sex. Hahahaha

11:15 or so. What do you think? Probably combined with the size, male.

This is crazy to look at 5 months later. This red plate is soooo small. Now he uses an 18" pizza pan for his plate. Yes. He will be only 2yrs and 6months this week.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca

11:15 or so. What do you think? Probably combined with the size, male.

This is crazy to look at 5 months later. This red plate is soooo small. Now he uses an 18" pizza pan for his plate. Yes. He will be only 2yrs and 6months this week.

View attachment 378418
Good lord. Male tortoises are not for me! And that WHITE CARPET. So yes based on this my vote is OPs is a female and stump is most definitely a male. *shudder*

ryan57

PA
Good lord. Male tortoises are not for me! And that WHITE CARPET. So yes based on this my vote is OPs is a female and stump is most definitely a male. *shudder*
LOL, yeah, that piece of carpet got immediately tossed as you see. Stump has only left his indoor doggie bed once. We left him in there without the TV on to go to my nephew's school band concert and he went to my wife's chair in her office to wait for us and one day Kathleen wasn't feeling well and laid on the couch. 10 minutes later she had her office buddy staring at her on the couch when he was about 1.5yo. Only two times.

He does his business in the substrate in her office in his area, outside or during his soak. If we get him out of his bed to the office by 10:30 or 11:00 he has never soiled his bed, carpet or anything.

What's really crazy is that he eats about a whole plate full of grass and weeds daily (size of his shell) and then can still put away a "snack pack" of greens before bed.