Cutting claws?

MarieAllen127

Location (City and/or State)
Milton, Ontario
Hey I'm a Hermann Tortoise owner! My Tortoise named Leo is 1 year and 3 months old. Her nails have not grown too long probably less than an inch. People keep asking if I cut her nails or not. But to be honest, I don't really know how, or if I should even do it! Please tell me if I should cut her nails or not, if so, How do I do it?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Pictures would be good to see if necessary? But I doubt it is by your description.

Welcome to the forum btw!🐢💚I don’t suppose you’d mind sharing a pic of your full set up? It’s nice to see how new members are keeping their babies🙂

Reactions: Ink

zolasmum

5 Year Member
If Leo is getting a chance to walk about on a fairly rough surface, her nails will wear down naturally. If they seem to be impeding her walking, then you could clip the points off just a tiny bit with nail scissors- making sure you don't cut into the darker bit of the nail, as that's where the blood vessels are. It probably isn't necessary, though.
Angie

MarieAllen127

Milton, Ontario
Pictures would be good to see if necessary? But I doubt it is by your description.

Welcome to the forum btw!🐢💚I don’t suppose you’d mind sharing a pic of your full set up? It’s nice to see how new members are keeping their babies🙂
For sure! Probably should have thought of taking pictures!

MarieAllen127

Milton, Ontario
If Leo is getting a chance to walk about on a fairly rough surface, her nails will wear down naturally. If they seem to be impeding her walking, then you could clip the points off just a tiny bit with nail scissors- making sure you don't cut into the darker bit of the nail, as that's where the blood vessels are. It probably isn't necessary, though.
Angie
Thank you so much for the advice! There is mulch in her tank so I don't think she needs to get her nails cut just yet. But I will if it grows too long.

_The_Beast_

Canada
Having slate and other rough surfaces to walk on other than mulch (which their claws and feet and sink in between) will help keep her nails happy :) I use a combination of flat slate, big flat river rocks, and substrate.