URGENT!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
ARGH!!!!!!!

I have just put a mix of top soil and play sand into Stu's (Hermann's tortoise) table (about 2 parts top soil to 1 part play sand) and he's eating it!! I have a problem with him eating dirt, bird poo and stones when I take him outside. Why is he doing this and how can I stop him? He just literally eats everything in sight! What happens if I just leave him in his table and he carries on eating his substrate? I don't know what to do. So frustrating and distressed!

I give him fresh food daily. Either mixed salad from bag from shop, dandelion leaves, treats, and I've even just bought tortoise food mix (like little pellets you have to soak in water first). I sprinkle calcium stuff on his food but sometimes he doesn't eat the food and just wants to eat rubbish so maybe he's not getting enough calcium stuff?

Please help asap :'(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy my Hermann did that too. He was eating it as if he was loving it and he was not stopping so I had to remove it because I was affraid that it could cause impaction.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
thanks for replying so quick. so what substrate do you use now? i don't seem to be having much luck! i'm hoping stu will get used to it...... even if i remove it and sort the situation out in his table, he will still try to eat all rubbish when i take him out into the garden. :-(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
That is what Hermy does too when he goes outside, he does not eat the grass or the dandelions, but the soil :rolleyes:. He is on Aspen now, and really loves it. Does Stu ate a lot of soil?? Does he still eating it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When my kids were babies my mother-in-law used to say they were lacking something in their system when they put EVERYTHING in their mouth.

Sometimes little ones just have to test everything out. Not much help, I know.

Ok so, off the top of my head, here's what I would do: As a temporary measure, set him up either on newspaper or indoor/outdoor carpet...something he CAN'T eat. Then feed him with vitamins and minerals sprinkled on his food every feeding. There is a product sold at carolinapetsupply.com called TNT (total nutrition for tortoises). This product might just help your little guy get over his need to eat everything. I would keep him set up like this and supplementing his regular meals every day for about a month. Then try to set him up like a "regular tortoise" again, with substrate, etc. and go back to supplementing only once or twice a week.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have read somewhere recently (can't remember the site) that tortoises will sometimes eat dirt to gain benificial bacteria or minerals they may be lacking. this often happens after a round of antibiotics or with hatchlings. Dirt and Coco fiber should pass right through but dirt with stones or pebbles could be an impaction problem.
I agree with Yvonne. Start them on TNT or you could try giving benebac this should decrease the dirt eating once the proper balance of mineral and bacteria is obtained.

benebac; palatable, concentrated source of live naturally occurring digestive bacteria found in the intestinal tract. For any time an animal experience stress from changing nutritional or environmental conditions.
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=4157

TNT
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...ath=58&zenid=4bbfc6bf91be194de86ab4db64460f8d

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Eating the poo of tortoises and of other animals is pretty much normal for Hermanns. I remove it as I don't like the thought them eating this. Eating small stones is also very common. If the stones being eaten are white then the tortoise may be seeking extra calcium. A cuttlefish bone works well for some and cannot do any harm. That is a calcium source that is good as an extra one but not enough on its own.

My tortoises have never eaten a soil or sand and soil mixture, but its true that really small ones will try and eat just about anything.

Maybe this tortoise has just not come across anything like this before and is checking it out. I've found that mine will seen to get fixated with something like this for a short time then seem to forget about it.

If you take the tortoise outside for a short time he will act instinctivly and try and build a map of this new area and explore it (if he feels safe enough). This can include checking things out by biting.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Ok thanks for all your comments, they have put my mind at rest a little! :) I will see how Stu goes tomorrow and monitor his behaviour. If he is still eating the soil/ sand mix then I'll get a different substrate and use the supplements like you have all suggested. I have been using Arkvits (recommended by my vet) and before this I used Nutrobal. I'm wondering if he doesn't like the taste of Arkvits? - He never used to eat stupid things before I switched on to this so I thought I might try switching back to the Nutrobal before buying anything else...? I'm also going to lay off the treats for a while - perhaps he is just wanting to eat these rather than proper healthy food!! Naughty Stu knows mum can't resist but I shall be strong now!

Thank you all. Will keep you updated :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
LOL, don't want to sound mean but I have a picture of this tort eating all the dirt in his pen and I LMAO.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
I only just put the substrate in yesterday and didn't moisten it in case this would happen. Then I can just put it all in a bag and save it for later. Can't if it's wet. Somehow I don't think moistening it will make any difference seeing as when he's outside he eats all the soil, poo and stones in sight anyway! :p Don't want any impaction to happen... Do you think it will and how long before it would? I am worried about him so I may just put him on newspaper for now...

I suppose it is funny a bit - he would literally eat the house and everything in it if he could!!

I only put the substrate in yesterday so didn't moisten it in case this would happen and I'd have to take it out. Then I can keep it for later. I don't know if moistening it will make any difference seeing as Stu will just eat anything when I take him outside too...? It's very frustrating!

I suppose it is kind of funny in a way - he would literally eat the house and everything in it if he could!!

Just don't want any impaction to happen. Do you think it would and how long would it take to take effect? Perhaps I'll just put him on newspaper today... :(

oops. double message!

Status
Not open for further replies.