Tort not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltaylor92

5 Year Member
Hi I bought my female tort bout 5 days ago and it hasn't eaten a thing I keep her in tortoise table basking like set at 30-35 degrees and cooler are around 20-25 always water an stuff available and the bedding is a play sand/top soil mix with abit calcium init any help would be appreciated just wanna see my tort eat something th

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's not unusual for a new tortoise to be stressed out and just want to hide for a week or two. What kinds of food are you offering?

caltaylor92

5 Year Member
I've offered her lettuce, cauliflower a tiny bit of banana all the things I see on here really but she won't have none off it!! And yeah all she does is either wanna hide, sit under her basking light or run around the edge of her table looking a way out haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lettuce, cauliflower and banana is not the right kind of food to be offering a Hermann's tortoise. Try offering it some weeds, grass, hibiscus flowers, endive, romaine, dandelion, zucchini, yellow squash, snails, slugs, pill bugs, and a variety of seasonal vegetables.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Yvonne is right, you are feeding the wrong types of food. Stress is normal - It took my tort a month to truly feel comfortable. Don't pressure your tort - If she wants to hide most of the day, don't keep dragging her out!

You could try giving her a warm bath each day, to make sure she stays hydrated while she isn't eating. My tortoise finds baths very relaxing, yours may think the same thing! How old is your tortoise?

caltaylor92

5 Year Member
I tried giving her dandelion also an she just brushed past it :) and maybe your right she is just stressed and needs to settle down but il try some off the foods suggested and see how she goes and regarding the baths what sort of temperature should the water be?? I'm
New to all this haha oh and she is two years old

Status
Not open for further replies.