Urine/urates question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Nelson urinates pretty frequently- usually when roaming around on the carpet :rolleyes: but I almost never see urates. Is this normal? :(
He seems to drink a lot of water and he pees a lot, but there have only been a handful of times that I saw the slightest bit of white chalkiness in his urine.

eta: I just read this on another forum
The urine always has urates. When its clear it just means the urates are very dilute.

So I guess it's a good thing that when he urinates it's clear 99% of the time?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Had never heard that :rolleyes: As far as I know urates are always white, off white or brown, never clear. Urates are the break down of protein in the body. Urates that come out are the excess not reused by the body.

Danny

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hmm so then is it a bad thing that I hardly ever see urates?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nope :) It all depends on what the urates look like that you have seen. Creamy white is what your looking for.

Danny

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
egyptiandan said:
Nope :) It all depends on what the urates look like that you have seen. Creamy white is what your looking for.

Danny

By the way,the urates of my baby Sulcata is Creamy White in color,like what you said.Is this normal?Meaning,nothing to worry about?
Thanks.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Creamy white is good - gritty is not! It means they are not hydrated as well as they should be.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Urates are not always visible. It depends on the amount of protien you are feeding, Hydration, Temperature and species.

Russians normally do not take in a great deal of water. They are also kept relatively cool for the most part. In this case they usually do pass solid urates.

If you are keeping the tortoise relatively warm and very well hydrated you probably will not see solid urates. This is especially true if you are feeding a 'low protien' diet as so many keepers wrongfully recommend.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Not really... you should be aware and take note for the previously mentioned reasones. If it's noticed change something to make it better.

Also... plants high in oxalic acid will produce and increase in urates. If this is noticed... cut back on those types of plants.

Chris Isom said:
so is there ever a point of to much urates that you should actually start to worry aabout??

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
perfect example of different species. Forest tortoises normally do not pass solid urates.

jackrat said:
My redfoots have always been clear.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Shelly said:
ChiKat said:
Nelson urinates pretty frequently- usually when roaming around on the carpet

That's downright disgusting. Ugh.

Oh I know, that's why he is only allowed to walk on his blankets that can be washed!

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
-EJ said:
Not really... you should be aware and take note for the previously mentioned reasones. If it's noticed change something to make it better.

Also... plants high in oxalic acid will produce and increase in urates. If this is noticed... cut back on those types of plants.

Chris Isom said:
so is there ever a point of to much urates that you should actually start to worry aabout??

Are Hibiscus(Guamamelas)high in Oxalic Acid?
Thanks.

samstar

5 Year Member
My Star passes urates maybe once or twice a week and it's very chalky. Must be from the Mazuri diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.