UVA's,UVB's and heatlamps :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkietortoise

5 Year Member
Hey

I'm getting my first tortoise soon and I've been doing a lot of research and have got confused over the lighting and heating for him . I was thinking of getting a daylight bulb as I've heard this combines UVA and heat in one lamp, but I've also heard I need a UVB light. I would love it if I could get some advice on this.

steven

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!
Everyone around here pretty much recommends a Mercury Vapor Bulb or MVB the combine heat and UVB. I don't know if the UVA is required, someone smarter than me will let you know. You can take him outside also for a few hours and he will be fine with UVB.

Also, you should post in the Introductions Forum.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
You could use a MVB that combines heat and UVB...But I would recommend a UVB (most UVB bulbs also produce UVA)light as well as a separate heat bulb.... So the animal can decide whether it needs UVB light or basking heat....and doesn't over radiate..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yup...agree with direction of MVB for a few hours a day use...but feel a uvb bulb along with heat basking light offset a bit from one another is a safe way to go especially if you are dealing with a young tortoise/turtle :D

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I agree with a MVB there great but first what kind of tort are you getting?? :)

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I use an MVB, like most of the others suggested. Do you know what kind of tortoise you are getting yet?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Welcome to the forum! Hope you found the information you were looking for. :)

yorkietortoise

5 Year Member
Hi!

Thanks for the advice Urmm I don't no what sort of tortoise yet but I think it's either a Russian or a helman. And he's about 5. That's all I know at the moment :)

yorkietortoise

5 Year Member
Hey!

Just another question. I'm thinking of getting a heat mat to heat the overall enclosure and a sunlight bulb to supply UVA and UVB would this be ok? Also how often does the heatmat and UVA lamp need to be on for over the day?

Thank you!!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi yorkietortoise:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

If your tortoise is going to be kept in the house, you probably won't need a heat mat. The light and/or CHE (ceramic heat emitter) will do a good enough job of heating the enclosure.

As for the light, my light of choice is a mercury vapor bulb. These provide UVB and heat all in one bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.