UVB help

Noah101

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar grove nj
Where in my 8x4 adult russian tortoise enclosure should I place my Arcadia ProT5 12% 24 inch uvb fixture with the reflectors and everything, should I place it in the middle of the enclosure or on the side with the heat lamp and also how far away should I place is from the tortoise and how long should I leave it on?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
You should place it next to the heat lamp so the tortoise will benefit from the UV while basking. You should put it on a timer, about 4 hours a day is good. I would set it to be on when your tortoise usually basks. The only way to know for certain how far away the lamp should be is by using a solar meter. But referencing the arcadia lighting guide will give you an idea. With the T5 something in the 40 to 60 cm range will be good.

Noah101

Cedar grove nj
You should place it next to the heat lamp so the tortoise will benefit from the UV while basking. You should put it on a timer, about 4 hours a day is good. I would set it to be on when your tortoise usually basks. The only way to know for certain how far away the lamp should be is by using a solar meter. But referencing the arcadia lighting guide will give you an idea. With the T5 something in the 40 to 60 cm range will be good.

Thank you so much for the help!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
And also should I use the 24 or 36 inch inch long uvb lamp for an 8x4 enclosure if it’s 12% from Arcadia?
You’ll be fine with the 24” a lot of members use that size in their large set ups, your tort will get plenty of uv from it as they bask, aim for a height of 18-20 inches from the top of the tortoises shell🙂