UVB life span

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
All - The Solarmeter is the way to go, but there is a much less expensive option that has worked well for me. I use it in addition to the Solarmeter 6.5. There is a product called Smart UV Checker. It is a personal UV Index meter for your iPhone. The sensor is a very small unit that plugs into your headphone jack on your phone, then there is a free app you download. You can find these for anywhere between $25 and $35. I have had no problem with it at all. Since I use the same light fixtures on each of my enclosures, I made a rack that holds my phone and hangs on the light fixture in the exact same place every time. This way I can very accurately measure bulbs on a regular basis and monitor the degradation. I would absolutely suggest that everyone use a meter of some type as the bulbs I use (Reptisun 10.0 HO T5) can vary drastically in initial output. I find duds regularly. Here is a link to the Smart UV sensor on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZF332XY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome info-- thank you!

Do you guys have a guideline of values to follow?

If reading from the 6.5 solarmeter--

What uv reading is too high?
What uv reading is too low?

Let's assume there is no natural sun (cold winter season).

I have searched and searched and am finding no hard rules or guidelines.

Thank you!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Read this: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/usinguvmeter.htm

In my experience, minuscule changes in the angle of the meter or distance from the bulb makes significant differences in the readout, so comparing your measurement to the measurements of others is tough unless identical fixtures are used wherein the bulb is mounted at a very specific distance and angle from the meter.
The way I use the meter is to measure the initial output of every new bulb, then monitor it over time using a fixture so the meter is in exactly the same position each time. This will let you know if you have a bad bulb, and with good ones, when the UVB output has dropped below a comfortable level.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you, Dan. You are so right-- even small changes make a significant difference. I got a reading of 9.0 below one of my bulbs. I'm worried that that might be too strong. My babies favor that bulb and tend to sit under it for hours.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Because my UVB bulbs are on the entire day, 12 to 14 hours, I shoot for a range of 2 to 4 on the solar meter 6.5. All the bulbs i use are long fluorescent high output in high output fixtures. I think Tom Ames for a higher number but he only keeps his UVB lights on for part of the day. @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because my UVB bulbs are on the entire day, 12 to 14 hours, I shoot for a range of 2 to 4 on the solar meter 6.5. All the bulbs i use are long fluorescent high output in high output fixtures. I think Tom Ames for a higher number but he only keeps his UVB lights on for part of the day. @Tom

I base my educated guesses off of what the sun does here. In mid summer I get readings around 6.0 at mid day. Its only that strong for a few hours, so that is what I simulate indoors. I shoot for a reading around 6 and set those tubes to be on for 3-4 hours a day. This works for me and should be providing more than enough UVB to any tortoise.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Thank you!

http://www.jzar.org/jzar/article/view/150/89

Maverick

5 Year Member
All - The Solarmeter is the way to go, but there is a much less expensive option that has worked well for me. I use it in addition to the Solarmeter 6.5. There is a product called Smart UV Checker. It is a personal UV Index meter for your iPhone. The sensor is a very small unit that plugs into your headphone jack on your phone, then there is a free app you download. You can find these for anywhere between $25 and $35. I have had no problem with it at all. Since I use the same light fixtures on each of my enclosures, I made a rack that holds my phone and hangs on the light fixture in the exact same place every time. This way I can very accurately measure bulbs on a regular basis and monitor the degradation. I would absolutely suggest that everyone use a meter of some type as the bulbs I use (Reptisun 10.0 HO T5) can vary drastically in initial output. I find duds regularly. Here is a link to the Smart UV sensor on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZF332XY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Nice find, I'm going see about checking this out...

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY

Thank you!
Like Tom, I shoot for a UVI of 6 on the Solarmeter 6.5 standing it up on the substrate. I leave my lights on for 14 hours a day, but the tortoises can get out of the direct light where the reading is around 1 or 2.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you. I think I still need to tweak my setup. I think the day I get it perfect will be the day my new enclosure arrives. Then the journey begins again!
I thank you for the advice. I've said it many times before: Tortoise people are the best!