uvb light

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick48

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
when i got my baby herman i was told the uvb light has to be no more than 8 inches above the ground or it wont work but after looking at some other set ups ive seen them much higher.whats the deal with the lights?ive got a 24inch tube...thanks

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
It all depends on the strength of the bulb you have on how far away you put it. The UV does go down drastically the further away you move it. I typically use 5.0 and have it about 10" - 12" away from the substrate and as time goes on, the UV does wear out.

mick48

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks chucky mines the 10.0 as the guy in the shop told me this is the best one,i have the light about 8 inches above like i said so should i move it up

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Well, it all depends on how much UV it is really putting out. I have a meter and I get different readings from brand new bulbs from the same manufacturer and size. I would say to move it up a couple inches for now and then in a few months start lowering it down an inch at a time.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Chucky-I saw in your post that you have a meter that measures the uvb output of the bulbs....i've never heard of this where did you get that?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I'll have to look it up in my emails to the company but I can tell you they are not cheap. I think I paid $145 but I'll get back to you when I find out.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
George the Box Turtle,

Ok, the name of the meter is Solarmeter 6.2 uvb meter and I got it online at beardeddragons.biz for $149 plus shipping. At the time it was the cheapest place I could find it.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for the information, I'll probably have to do some more research and save up for that one! But i'm interested in that because I'm always wondering whether its time to replace my bulbs or put them closer, etc.

thanks again!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have heard if you put them to close it sould cause problems to the torts eyes. I usually keep all of my lights 12" above the substrate.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
the tube's typically last 6-8 months. i change mine out every 6 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.