UVB Lighting Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Currently for my russian I have a Repti Sun 10.0. It rests about 15-16 inches about his enclosure. I have recently read that these tubes are bad and can cause serious eye damage. I also know that UVB is essential for a healthy tortoise. He is only about 5 months old. I know that pyramiding starts the first year of their life and I want him to be healthy. Are these 10.0s bad? Or should I go down to a 5.0?
Also is there anyway to hang a UVB hood?
Thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I have a reptisun 10.0 tube and it says on the box that it's beneficial (up to) 20" away. Which means it shouldn't be any farther away than that. I would think the height you have it at currently would be fine.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tortus said:
I have a reptisun 10.0 tube and it says on the box that it's beneficial (up to) 20" away. Which means it shouldn't be any farther away than that. I would think the height you have it at currently would be fine.

Yes, I didn't have the box with me. I think their effectiveness wanes if >20".
That is the correct tube light for a Russian, to answer your original question.

EKLC

5 Year Member
tube lights are alright

the coils are bad because it's difficult to get enough UVB out of such a small bulb, so use a different material in the bulb which also produces levels of higher energy UVC.

To be extra safe, you could put your UV tube near the basking light, since the brightness of the basking light will deter the tortoise from looking at the light. (you can't stare at the sun, or a MVB, but you could certainly stare at an flourescent UV, and hurt your eyes)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding won't have anything to do with which UV bulb you use. Does your little man have a humid hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.