Lighting and UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven

5 Year Member
I'm planning to get a 4x2 feet of aquarium for my leopard tortoise.

For the heat and basking, I'm using the Exoterra Halogen Basking Spot at one end of the enclosure.

For UVB, I'm planning to use Repti Glo 10.0/T8. May I know should I buy a longer tube UVB and hang it across the length of the aquarium? Or should I get a shorter one and put it near the basking spot area?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I'd recommend a large closed chamber over the open-topped aquarium, although the aquarium isn't bad either.

I'd get the longer tube and light up the whole enclosure.

Also, weather permitting, I'd get him outside for some daily sunshine, grazing and exercise in a large safe enclosure. If you are able to do this, you won't need any artificial indoor UV.

raven

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

I'd recommend a large closed chamber over the open-topped aquarium, although the aquarium isn't bad either.

I'd get the longer tube and light up the whole enclosure.

Also, weather permitting, I'd get him outside for some daily sunshine, grazing and exercise in a large safe enclosure. If you are able to do this, you won't need any artificial indoor UV.

Thanks for the advice. For now, I can only go with the aquarium, but in future will try to go for your advice. As for the outdoor activities, will try to do that when I'm able.

raven

5 Year Member
Additional questions:

1. How do I mount the fluorescent UVB tube? Will the normal house fluorescent light holder be suitable?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Why not just get Mercury Vapor Bulb. It will provide both UVB and heat in one. You will still need something for night heat. CHE or waterproof heat cable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
raven said:
Additional questions:

1. How do I mount the fluorescent UVB tube? Will the normal house fluorescent light holder be suitable?

For aquariums I usually rest it lengthwise across the top or hang it from above.

Status
Not open for further replies.