UVB Meters

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
My Solarmeter 6.2 is on the frits and needs to be replaced. I primarily using it to determine bulb efficiency. I was looking into the 6.5r model as well to measure D3 synthesis. Are there any models out there that can reliably accomplish both? I read that Solarmeter recommends purchasing both models.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Solarmeter 6.2 is on the frits and needs to be replaced. I primarily using it to determine bulb efficiency. I was looking into the 6.5r model as well to measure D3 synthesis. Are there any models out there that can reliably accomplish both? I read that Solarmeter recommends purchasing both models.
You only need the 6.5. 6.5r is the same thing with a different sticker on it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
As long as you're only using reputable bulbs, a 6.5 is usually enough. It's not as granular when tracking the UV output/decay over time, but it works.

If you're doing any experimenting/testing of new or unknown brands, then a 6.5 and 6.2 together can hint at the safety of the bulb but a 6.5 and spectrometer are a better combo.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
As long as you're only using reputable bulbs, a 6.5 is usually enough. It's not as granular when tracking the UV output/decay over time, but it works.

If you're doing any experimenting/testing of new or unknown brands, then a 6.5 and 6.2 together can hint at the safety of the bulb but a 6.5 and spectrometer are a better combo.
I generally stick with the Arcadia 12.5's. So the 6.5r model will let me know when the bulbs are reaching end of life like the 6.2 does?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You only need the 6.5. 6.5r is the same thing with a different sticker on it.
Why does solarmeter recommend the "r" then? Since they are the same price, I can't imagine it's strictly for marketing purposes. I'm hopped up on cold medicine at the moment, so my brain isn't working too well. lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why does solarmeter recommend the "r" then? Since they are the same price, I can't imagine it's strictly for marketing purposes. I'm hopped up on cold medicine at the moment, so my brain isn't working too well. lol
ZooMed started selling them, so some "re-branding" was needed. As far as I know, it is solely for marketing.

@Markw84 please correct me if I am wrong. Or @jaizei .