UVB questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I have my babies in a 5 x 4 closed chamber with coco coir substrate, two basking lights, a CHE for night time and a 32" UVB desert tube light. They spend all day monday through Thursday inside but on Friday night after work, they go to their outdoor habitat. This one is open to the air (it has a wire top) with lots of suculents and grass shoots. Sphagum moss dirt for a substrate and a big water dish. There is a huge hide and plenty of shade. They stay in here during the day and only come in at night On Saturday and Sunday, they go out at about 7 am and stay there until around 8 - 9 pm. My question is, do you think they get enough UVB from being outdoor babies three days a week to where they do not need the UVB during the weekdays or should I keep them under it all week long? I only ask because I rescued two adult russians and I am running out of UVB options and the Russians outdoor living area is not ready yet. Moving the light is not too big a deal but it requires the deconstruction of my closed hide everytime.
I needed to get them out of their situation or I would have waited to get them....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Outside for a half hour a couple of times a week is enough to meet their UV needs. If they are out all day for three days, you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.