UVB ratings on bulbs mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceclown

5 Year Member
First off I'm a new tort owner. Im going to start measuring the UVB from my florescent light in my torts inside enclosure. I'm currently using an Aqueon 00728 fixture with a 7% UVB bulb.

My questions are. What does the 7% mean. As UVB light in in the range of 315 - 280 nm range. How does a bulb produce 7%? What readings should I expect from my UVB light meter?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Too technical for me...lol...here all the grown torts are out all day and night and the smaller ones that reside inside get tossed out in the sun a few times a week if not every day for awhile...so I don't run uvb inside well except for the two RES tank..and they get tossed out in their outside dip once a week for a couple hours as well...but my post will bump your thread back for the others to see....good luck and if all else fails I bet you can do a good online search with your technical questions...good luck to ya..

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The number is the percentage of light that is emitted as UVB, compared to the total light emitted. So 7% of the light emitted (both visible and UV) is UVB.

spaceclown

5 Year Member
Can you measure that percentage? It's confusing.

I think I'm catching on. Basically UVB has its own wavelength which is a constant. But the amount of of UVB you receive is measured in uW/cm2 which is basically amount compared to distant. Hence the closer you are to the source the more UVB you'll get. So I only need to worry about what the correct amount of UVB (uW/cm2) would be at a certain distant to help vitamin D production and calcium absorption in my tort.

With all that being said. Is there a chart that tells me what the proper UVB would be at a certain distant for my tort.

On a side note it would be nice to be able to measure that 7% to ensure that I'm getting what I paid for. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
More realistically, the numbers are marketing tools. They have little connection to reality, but allow you to compare bulbs from the same maker, thus a 10 offers the most UVB, a 7 offers less, and a 5 offers about 1/2 that of a 10.

A study of breeding chameleons found that they did best under low-level, low-wattage UVB bulbs left on for 10-14 hours a day. This makes sense to me- all-day low-level in captivity would probably equal the higher output of the sun when you factor in the level changes during the day and the effect of hides, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.