UVB/uva bulbs

CaseyPietro7

Hello fellow tortoise enthusiasts. I have a question so I just received my tortoise and right now I have a 50 watt heat lamp on him trying to keep him warm. I need a uva/uvb bulb not sure what's the difference but I just need help with my lighting in general. Can anyone help me out and tell me what you guys have? I want the best for him and the last piece of the puzzle is his lighting

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Little more info needed before we can help. The answers to Toms questions and also state you live in.

CaseyPietro7

I have a sulcata. I received him about a month ago. I have him in a zoo med Tortoise table. I know he will get large and I have to space to provide him when he gets larger. I currently have a 50w heat bulb on him but I know he needs a uva/uvb bulb. Is uva and uvb the same? If not what's the difference? Is there a combination bulb that gives heat uva and uvb??? Anything helps and thanks for your replies

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi. I wrote this summary some time ago, but I think it covers all your questions

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food. It needs to be 100F under this lamp.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature of 80F and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

Gymtimpro

Pleasant Gap Pa
Uvb is lighting like the sun and uva is ultraviolite a b and c its just a good source for the animal and make sure you give him calcium or the uvb dose nothing much.