Uvb

Hai

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
If I got a uvb bulb that is 5% vs one that's 12%. Would the 5% one just need to be turned on longer?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something tells my you have purchased the Compact Fluorescent Bulb. These are not very good, and if your tortoise is a baby, it might harm his eyes.

I like to use the tube type fluorescent UVB bulbs:
Fluorescent UVB light a.jpg

And I leave it on for 12 to 14 hours a day.

Hai

Tucson az
Something tells my you have purchased the Compact Fluorescent Bulb. These are not very good, and if your tortoise is a baby, it might harm his eyes.

I like to use the tube type fluorescent UVB bulbs:
View attachment 258581

And I leave it on for 12 to 14 hours a day.

No I didnt buy the ones that are harmful. I have a 48" light fixture and I can either get a reptile sun which is 5% or 10% or can get arcadia which is 12% or 14%

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No I didnt buy the ones that are harmful. I have a 48" light fixture and I can either get a reptile sun which is 5% or 10% or can get arcadia which is 12% or 14%
Oh, ok. Sorry but my experience with percentages is nil. Let's make sure that @Markw84 sees this thread. He's very helpful about lighting.

Hai

Tucson az
Oh, ok. Sorry but my experience with percentages is nil. Let's make sure that @Markw84 sees this thread. He's very helpful about lighting.

Np. I'm kinda assuming higher the % is, the less it has to be on. What brand do you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Np. I'm kinda assuming higher the % is, the less it has to be on. What brand do you have?
The info on the hood says, "Sun Blaze T5 HO 22" I think the HO stands for high output, and the 22 stands for 22" long. But it doesn't refer to the percentage.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The simple answer first. The percentage is an indication of the distance required for proper placing of a bulb more than for the amount of time you would want one turned on. Since light intensity declines GEOMETRICALLY with distance, a small amount of UVB will become negligible and simply not useful a very short (6 inches or so) distance from the bulb. I would not bother with the 5% bulb as it puts out little UVB at the distance that would be most practical for a good installation of a fluorescent tube in an enclosure. To get the right intensity of UVB for tortoises you will need at least a 10% bulb when dealing with closer distances (12" range) and anything mounted further away will be better accomplished with an HO (high output) T5 bulb - usually a 12% or 14%. These bulbs can give a nice wide basking zone of proper intensity when mounted in the 18" - 24" range above the tortoise.

Once you have the proper intensity of UVB for a basking zone, the amount of time you leave the light on depends upon your total lighting design of the enclosure and how much ambient light you ave in addition to the UVB light when the UVB light is off. Most people will need to leave the UVB on the total amount of time you are creating the daytime for the tortoise. Normally 13 - 14 hours a day. However, if you have good, full spectrum ambient lighting of proper intensity in ADDITION to the UVB light, you can use the UVB light to create a midday increase in UV and just have the UVB light on 5 hours midday, for example. BUT - you need to have good lighting for the entire photoperiod you are trying to create or your tortoise will often react by becoming less active. If I were keeping a hibernating (brumating) species, I would keep the UVB bulb on the full 14 hours as long as I am trying to keep the tortoise active and avoid hibernation (brumation)

To be more technical:

The percentage a Manufacturer puts on a UVB bulb is meant to tell how much of the light that the bulb produces is actually in the UVB range. A fluorescent UVB bulb normally will produce about 40% of its light as TOTAL UV and 60% as visible light. That's why a UVB light will look dimmer than an equal wattage standard fluorescent. And also why they are more expensive as different glass and phosphors are needed to make them.

So - a 5% bulb will be 5% UVB, 35% UVA and 60% visible light.
A 10% bulb is 10% UVB, 30% UVA and 60% visible light.
HO bulbs put out more intensity for the same size bulb. So in very general terms, a T5 bulb of the same length, will put out about 1.5 - 1.6 times the light of a standard T8 or T5.
The type of ballast you have will also greatly effect output, so a cheaper fixture may often result in lower light output when measured.

P

pguinpro

If I got a uvb bulb that is 5% vs one that's 12%. Would the 5% one just need to be turned on longer?
I would reccomend getting a T8 that way you can buy a 2ft T8 strip light; keep mait. costs down. 12% is the output of UVB rays. If you have a uv meter you can test this and the reading should be a percentage.

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland
I take it having both a UVB and basking light is the best? I only have a UVB installed and have to rise and lower it to get the proper temperature, however I'm concerned that sometimes it's too low to the substrate.

P

pguinpro

I take it having both a UVB and basking light is the best? I only have a UVB installed and have to rise and lower it to get the proper temperature, however I'm concerned that sometimes it's too low to the substrate.
I don't think UVB is a sufficient heat source. You'll definitely need an incandescent flood bulb 65w. Make sure it doesn't say 65watt equivalent because those are not hot enough.

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland
I don't think UVB is a sufficient heat source. You'll definitely need an incandescent flood bulb 65w. Make sure it doesn't say 65watt equivalent because those are not hot enough.
Great! I have a basking bulb in storage anyway - just need to buy and install a new holder to get it up

Hai

Tucson az
The simple answer first. The percentage is an indication of the distance required for proper placing of a bulb more than for the amount of time you would want one turned on. Since light intensity declines GEOMETRICALLY with distance, a small amount of UVB will become negligible and simply not useful a very short (6 inches or so) distance from the bulb. I would not bother with the 5% bulb as it puts out little UVB at the distance that would be most practical for a good installation of a fluorescent tube in an enclosure. To get the right intensity of UVB for tortoises you will need at least a 10% bulb when dealing with closer distances (12" range) and anything mounted further away will be better accomplished with an HO (high output) T5 bulb - usually a 12% or 14%. These bulbs can give a nice wide basking zone of proper intensity when mounted in the 18" - 24" range above the tortoise.

Once you have the proper intensity of UVB for a basking zone, the amount of time you leave the light on depends upon your total lighting design of the enclosure and how much ambient light you ave in addition to the UVB light when the UVB light is off. Most people will need to leave the UVB on the total amount of time you are creating the daytime for the tortoise. Normally 13 - 14 hours a day. However, if you have good, full spectrum ambient lighting of proper intensity in ADDITION to the UVB light, you can use the UVB light to create a midday increase in UV and just have the UVB light on 5 hours midday, for example. BUT - you need to have good lighting for the entire photoperiod you are trying to create or your tortoise will often react by becoming less active. If I were keeping a hibernating (brumating) species, I would keep the UVB bulb on the full 14 hours as long as I am trying to keep the tortoise active and avoid hibernation (brumation)

To be more technical:

The percentage a Manufacturer puts on a UVB bulb is meant to tell how much of the light that the bulb produces is actually in the UVB range. A fluorescent UVB bulb normally will produce about 40% of its light as TOTAL UV and 60% as visible light. That's why a UVB light will look dimmer than an equal wattage standard fluorescent. And also why they are more expensive as different glass and phosphors are needed to make them.

So - a 5% bulb will be 5% UVB, 35% UVA and 60% visible light.
A 10% bulb is 10% UVB, 30% UVA and 60% visible light.
HO bulbs put out more intensity for the same size bulb. So in very general terms, a T5 bulb of the same length, will put out about 1.5 - 1.6 times the light of a standard T8 or T5.
The type of ballast you have will also greatly effect output, so a cheaper fixture may often result in lower light output when measured.

I currently have a 4ft and a 2ft t8 light fixture that I have available. Would the 2ft be enough or should I used the 4ft. I was gonna buy the 12% Arcadia

P

pguinpro

It's a sulcata and the size is 4' x 2' x 2'
Get the 48 inch light strips from lowes or walmart. Get the T8 Arcadia 12% UVB get t5 if you want but then the light fixtures will be more expensive.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's a sulcata and the size is 4' x 2' x 2'
The 2 foot bulb would work for that size enclosure, but that size enclosure is only going to last a sulcata 6 months or so and you will need a bigger enclosure. You will then need a 4 foot bulb so perhaps getting that now would work better, and upgrade the enclosure as soon as possible.

I know a lot of people suggest going with a cheap fixture and then putting in the UVB bulb, but the type and quality of the ballast can dramatically effect the quality of the light a good UVB can put out. Some ballasts may end up putting out 1/2 the UVB from the same bulb a high quality fixture will produce.

P

pguinpro

The 2 foot bulb would work for that size enclosure, but that size enclosure is only going to last a sulcata 6 months or so and you will need a bigger enclosure. You will then need a 4 foot bulb so perhaps getting that now would work better, and upgrade the enclosure as soon as possible.

I know a lot of people suggest going with a cheap fixture and then putting in the UVB bulb, but the type and quality of the ballast can dramatically effect the quality of the light a good UVB can put out. Some ballasts may end up putting out 1/2 the UVB from the same bulb a high quality fixture will produce.
Or two 48in strips...

Hai

Tucson az

I bought this 4ft one from home depot. I ordered a repti sun 5.0 by mistake. Gonna order the 12% Arcadia. I want to build a bigger enclosure but have to figure where I can put it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux...Narrow-Strip-Light-Fixture-SNF232RT/206663835

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I bought this 4ft one from home depot. I ordered a repti sun 5.0 by mistake. Gonna order the 12% Arcadia. I want to build a bigger enclosure but have to figure where I can put it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux...Narrow-Strip-Light-Fixture-SNF232RT/206663835

Be aware that is s T8 fixture so be sure the Arcadia 12% is a T8 not a T5

Also just a heads up that that fixture and ballast may put out less UVB with the bulb than a fixture designed for uvb bulbs. And if you put in two UVB bulbs the mounting height would change. With all the variables it’s hard to know what you will get without s solarmeter to check.

P

pguinpro

Be aware that is s T8 fixture so be sure the Arcadia 12% is a T8 not a T5

Also just a heads up that that fixture and ballast may put out less UVB with the bulb than a fixture designed for uvb bulbs. And if you put in two UVB bulbs the mounting height would change. With all the variables it’s hard to know what you will get without s solarmeter to check.
Recommended meter?