Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I herd all my DTs into a small fenced off area in my yard, and have a neighbor heave mulberry leaves over the fence.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We hire a house sitter to watch over our entire program the entire time we are gone. We never leave town during egg laying season, just too vital to get the eggs as they are laid. When we have alot of new hatchlings we do not leave either. It is just part of the program, we except it without issue. I also have two good buddy's lined up to respond and help the sitter if one of the big males gets turned over for some reason, two because I want a backup! Works well and gives us a piece of mind, we still call every day to check in, LOL!

30x788z.jpg

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have a friend stop by every day to feed and check on them. Sometimes I take my small one with me.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I used to take Trevor over to a friend's house in a big Rubbermaid tub, but now that he has a giant enclosure, I think that one is too small for him and nothing larger is available that is portable. This time we are hiring a pet sitter service (good reviews, insurance, interviewed, etc) to come check in every other day for food & cleaning. We don't have anyone who lives close enough I'd ask them to come on a regular basis for a trip, and I wasn't comfortable finding some neighbor kid without knowing the parents to make sure they followed through. I will leave him alone for a weekend. He doesn't tend to eat or do much while we're gone, and he's past the fragile stage. Its all about what works best for you and your situation. I'm the type that actually doesn't want to do the check-in calls...out if sight, out of worry lol. I ask the sitter not to call unless its an emergency. I provide a detailed 1 page care sheet with the daily stuff in bold (simplified routine), portion out greens into baggies, and provide info about random tortoise stuff so they don't worry and know what to look out for (urates, flashing, signs of illness, etc).

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My mom stays at my house with the torts, dogs and turtle. This year everybody in my family is taking seperate vacations so there will always be someone here. It is a hard part of having pets, but the dog is a bigger problem than the torts.

M

Maggie Cummings

If I leave for longer then 24 hours I have my grandson stay here. I have 34 in the house now, so there needs to be someone here at all times. And I have a flipper. He's been on his back twice today, even tho' I've moved what he was climbing on. I agree with tortoisenerd...it's all what works for you.

expiredgummiworm

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl, US
if i had edible plants in the enclosure and i got a humidifier and someone to ONLY SWITCH from UVB to CHE for 2 days, do you think that would be alright?

oh, do any of you take your babies by plane?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
expiredgummiworm said:
if i had edible plants in the enclosure and i got a humidifier and someone to ONLY SWITCH from UVB to CHE for 2 days, do you think that would be alright?

For 2 days they would be fine.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I'm lucky enough to have an exotics only vet nearby that also does boarding (http://www.azeah.com/), it's really handy since geology requires me to spend a lot of weekends away in a tent. Plus I have peace of mind that if anything goes wrong they're going to receive immediate and proper treatment.

-Devon

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Before I moved to Texas, my brother would look after Vegas while I was gone but since I have moved to Texas, we are never gone for more than 24 hrs. Hopefully I will have a few reliable friends when I ever decided to take a vacation again.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You ca also get a timer so when the UVB comes on the CHE turns off and vice versa

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When I went on vacation last year for a week to hawaii, one of my cousins stayed here to watch over the turtles tortoises cats dog and bird.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I've had friends feed and water when they took in the mail and fed the cat and dog. I've brought her with me (when I had just 1), and I've even just left her (back when I was a misinformed owner).

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I have Nelson's lights on a timer, which is a godsend. If I'm gone for the weekend I just leave out portions for my mom or sister to give him...hey, there's a perk to still living at home ;)
When I went to Costa Rica for a week last summer, my friend stopped by several times a day to take care of my dogs, so she just took care of Nelson too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Airlines have some pretty strict regulations about animals in with the passengers. You need to check before you try to do it.

expiredgummiworm

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl, US
im not trying. i was just curious. i just wanted to see if anyone has and how. airlines are definitely sticklers

Status
Not open for further replies.