What to do with tortoise vacation enclosure while we're not on vacation?

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello everyone! I have a quick question about what to do with my Russian tortoise's vacation enclosure while we aren't on vacation. He has a smaller plastic tub that can be transported, and the tub is just sitting in the garage when we are not on vacation. Is it okay to put the lid on the tub, or would that make a hotspot for bacteria and other microbes (that I definitely do not want my tortoise living in)?

ReiGuy

NJ
Do you have any extra closet space? If so, I'd sanitize it after use and then store it in there. I have a pvc enclosure and some larger tubs I'll put my reptiles in when I clean their enclosures. When not in use, I keep them in a closet and sanitize them before putting them away. This makes it convenient for me to use them when I need to without having to worry about harboring any bacteria or mold, etc.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I empty, clean and Disinfect and store empty. Poo, wee and old food is not good to keep. If you have a garden the substrate can go out to plants. Disinfect rocks, hides and dishes and store within the empty enc or near by for the next vacation 🤔

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I break them down, giving all parts a good cleaning and store the parts in my reptile room. If/when it is needed again I just start all over.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Thanks for all the replies! Is it alright to take the substrate out, clean the enclosure, and store the substrate in a bag or other container for next time instead of throwing it out?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for all the replies! Is it alright to take the substrate out, clean the enclosure, and store the substrate in a bag or other container for next time instead of throwing it out?
No use storing dirty substrate, whatever it is.